Knocking when pulling out and unable to change gear

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

davey82
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 1.5dci

Knocking when pulling out and unable to change gear

Postby davey82 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello my name is Dave and I've recently bought a 2006 Renault Megane 2 1.5 DCI.
As soon as I bought the car it was trouble with a slipping clutch and battery problems. So took back to the dealer and got a new clutch fitted, new battery and a new alternator. Things settled down for a month or two then so thought happy driving.
Now however I notice a loud clicking/knocking noise when pulling out of junctions and drives etc.
There was an advisory on the MOT for the top McPherson strut mount bearings so replaced them both this weekend to sadly find the noise still occurs.
It only happens when pulling away slowly and whilst power is going to the wheels. If I depress the clutch the noise stops.
Hugely limited budget now and am hoping it's something inexpensive that I can do, any ideas please suggest.
Secondly, since the onset of colder weather and particularly this morning, first thing once started I simply cannot get the car into any gear. It like the clutch is up as if pushing moderately hard for reverse the car rocks back subtly.
I am contemplating changing the transmission fluid as I noted that Megane 2 gear boxes use a thinner oil? If when they did the clutch maybe they put the wrong grade back in? If this is even part of the clutch replacement process. I don't know.

Any advice particularly the second problem would be gratefully received.

Regards

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Knocking when pulling out and unable to change gear

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi,
l think you need to take it back to the dealer who either fitted the clutch or arranged to have it fitted.
lt does sound like there's something wrong with the clutch, even if it just needs bleeding. The slave cylinder is part of the thrust bearing and should have been changed with the clutch. Whatever work was done, the new parts should carry a guarantee. lt could be a gearbox off job but you need whoever did the job to check it out.
Good luck
Bob.

davey82

Postby davey82 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:08 pm

thankyou for your response, I will give them a call tomorrow lunch time and see when they can check it out, they did the clutch and slave cylinder i know for sure, so fingers crossed its a bleed issue.

I was also surprised at how hard the clutch pedal was still, had assumed it was just a Megane thing. maybe that willl loosen up a touch too.

Any clue on the suspension tick/knock? it only makes the noise when pulling away on corners, fine on straights.

many thanks

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi,
if it's when the wheels are turned, it sounds like the drive shaft outer joint.
Take it to a carpark and drive on full lock both ways,listen for the noise is the usual test.
Have to say my clutch is not hard, see what the clutch people say, but definately mention it.
Good luck
Bob.

davey82

Postby davey82 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:52 pm

So a local garage I've used for years took a look for free for me, said the drive shafts didn't seem right. And also adjusted clutch for me.
Did notice this morning it's slipping a bit now :(.
So took to garage I bought it from they had a look said clutch was a horrible one to do but want me happy. So drove it but didn't detect the slip. Boo.
However showed me around with car on the ramp and could understand driveshafts a bit more and see that they were the knocking. So have ordered both drive shafts today and will fit them myself in Saturday. Have got gearbox oil as well.

Next step if that all goes well, if clutch is still slipping, what best was to bleed it? Is that the right thing to do? Not familiar with clutches yet. So it's a learning curve for me.
Or do I ask local garage to configure it for me?
Thanks as always! :)

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi,
if the clutch is intermittently slipping, there could be an oil leak from either the gearbox shaft or the rear engine seal, or possibly the clutch pedal is not always returning properly.
lt's a difficult one, but should really be addressed by the dealer as they took responsibility for the clutch issue in the first place.
Also, if they want you to be happy, why don't they also do the drive shafts, they don't go wrong overnight.
l would advise you to check with trading standards about how long you have rights for, ( not sure but there might be a six months rule ) as this car could turn out to be a money pit.
You've had trouble from the start and still in trouble. lt might be worth asking the dealer to change the car, no harm in asking, think about it.
l wish you luck with this.
Bob.

davey82

Postby davey82 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

I had a look online and from what I read it was a 30 day period from forecourt sales.so I'm screwed.
To be honest, I'm losing confidence in them and trust my own work more.
Oh and skint now haha. Wife and three kids ain't cheap coming up to Xmas!
So think I'll fit the drive shafts, then get them to sort the clutch once and for all and finally buy the cover for the wheel arch before I start down the ECU fault route!
Thanks again :)

davey82

Postby davey82 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:08 pm

To give an update on this.
After clutch adjustment from a friendly garage the car went in gear absolutely fine this morning and it was saying -2 on the dash for temperature. So that's fine now. And I replaced the near side drive shaft on Saturday morning and the knocking is completely gone.
I've got the offside shaft coming probably tomorrow. (A mix up where I ordered it from) and will pop that one on as well and keep both the old ones in case anything happens in the future.
Could feel the play in the old CV joint so quite reassured. And checked MOT history and a few years ago the CV boot was replaced. So I'm guessing there was some water ingress and it wasnt cleaned and repacked with grease.
All in all quite happy... For now!

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Hi,
well done on all your work.
l reckon there must have been air in the system, l don't think there's any adjuster on the hydraulic system.
Glad you're happier now.
ps mine says -30 in the summer, but hey ho, it's a reliable car.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”