gearbox oil leak

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

birghi
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 dci 3doors

gearbox oil leak

Postby birghi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:05 pm

:banghead :banghead :life

Hi all,

I've got my gearbox change back in April 2017 and 6 month later is pouring oil out off it like madness. Most of the oil is between the engine and bell housing. did anyone else experienced this problem?

Note that is not the DOT4 clutch oil as it smells like gearbox oil and the brakes oil level are still at max since i have this leak.

Some people states that the gearbox bell housing must be resealed again to the gearbox
Other people say that I have to change the main bearing and seal located on the centre of the primary shaft.
Nobody wants to remove that bearing with the included seal or to dismantle the gearbox to remake the seals.

What you guys are advising me to do?

Please note that with the existing gearbox I have already spent £300. only to take the gearbox down and back in will cost me £200. I don't wanna do this anymore :(

Looking forward for your toughs.

Kind regards,
Alex

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: gearbox oil leak

Postby grandadbobby » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:12 pm

Hi,
if you're sure it's gear oil and not engine oil, it must be the seal where the shaft comes out the box.
Either way it is a gearbox off job l'm afraid.
Even if it was the clutch slave, same thing.
Bob.

birghi
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 dci 3doors

Postby birghi » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:04 am

Hi,

Took gearbox down to see that the oil was leaking by the main bearing seal.
The seal was fine, the issue was with the primary shaft coming off the gearbox had oxidation where the gasket was supposed to seal and keep the oil in the gearbox. gearbox got stripped to pieces to get the bearing pushed 2mm towards the gearbox. Cleaned all friction disk from oil etc fix everything back in, changed the driveshafts seals oil, new 75w-80 synthetic oil+ gearbox sealant oil treatment as a precaution for leaking gaskets in future.

Neithetheless the clutch was a pain to bleed and I could only make it using a kit from Eurocarparts that pressurized the system. £20 well spent!
Who claims that they can gravity bleed the clutches on these megane's are really lucky or they might pressurize the system by the pedal. God knows.

notes before taking the gearbox off the car:
- when the gearbox oil was leaking it was coming out trough the lower part of the bell housing
- the clutch was fine but was slipping when in high gears at low revs so I've always assumed to be because of the oil leak
- the clutch was changed by the previous owner and indeed this was confirmed when taking the gearbox apart
- the car would makes a rattling noise in any gears between 1000 rpm and 1300 rpm while taking off or driving on the incline at low revs
- As a result when gearbox was down I've checked all the gearbox mountings, struts, front shocks absorber, track end rods, driveshafts ...all fine and solid

Notes after repairing the gearbox:
- no oil leaks present on the gearbox bell housing
- clutch still slips
- rattling noise still present at low revs while picking up speed and then goes away as revs increases.

Questions??:
- what is wrong with this car? i like working on it but i don;t have the time and the weather to spend my life next to this car every weekend.
- does this car has a DMF (dual mass flywheel) ? The car plates is HV53EBK therefore the 82bhp engine. I have looked at the flywheel and from my DIY experience gained from youtube i have assumed to be a single mass flywheel. More research on here shown that the rattling noise + clutch slip might be developed by the failing DMF. It is that the case? Or is a false alarm and the problem is from somewhere else
-I have check the other topics and other have accused the clutch slipping on a failing Clutch Master Cylinder which might have the spring broken? Might that be the case? where is located and how difficult is to have it replaced?
- Changing gear from 3rd to 2nd become today very difficult after a week since the gearbox and bleeding was done. Note that the concentric slave cylinder CSC was not changed when the gearbox was down. I have removed the rubber protection and seen that the spring was fine and not broken.

I am very confused about the coming issues as follow:
-hard to change gear from 3-2
-ratling noise in any gear at low revs until it pick up speed
-clutch slipping at when accelerating hard in gears 2,3,4 and 5.

Please help! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

scooper1000
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: 2006 Renault megane 1.5 DCi Maxim

Postby scooper1000 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:01 am

Surely after all that work you replaced the full clutch....if not why....i would imagine most of the slipping, noise will be coming from the clutch......guess what the box is coming out again.....

Return to “Problems / Questions”