INJECTION FAULT - With a difference. 1.5Dci

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ABliss
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane MKII 1.5DCi (80)

INJECTION FAULT - With a difference. 1.5Dci

Postby ABliss » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:18 am

Hi all.

I have read numerous threads on the dreaded (and very common) injection fault issues. But, mine is slightly unique I think.

Problem: After leaving the car overnight to start in the morning, it won't start. Key in, clutch down, push ignition button... not a even a crank. Just one message: Injection Fault and the STOP light on. Only happened on Saturday just passed.

Opened the bonnet to see if there was anything obvious. Nothing obvious.
Quick analytical thinking: No fuel or air getting to the ignition.

Solution to getting it started: I used the priming bulb. I squeezed the bulb a couple of times and voila!!!! It started... Until the next morning where I have to do the same thing again, squeeze the priming bulb to get it started.

Now. What do you guys think the problem could be?

Additional info:

The fuel filter hasn't been replaced in quite a while, over 10k miles (will be doing it next weekend).
When pressing the priming bulb, I see loads of air bubbles in it and when releasing the bulb, I see fuel flowing back towards the bulb (I know there should be a no return valve in there, perhaps this has gone)

I have a 2004 1.5Dci megane that's done 130k. Need to try and fix this problem so I can sell it on and get another car haha.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: INJECTION FAULT - With a difference. 1.5Dci

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi,
when you say 'not even a crank' do you mean the engine doesn't turn over, or do you mean not trying to fire.
The air in the fuel system is probably down to the quick release connectors, over time the seals go hard it seems.
l fixed this on my car by replacing the connectors with 10mm pipe off ebay. l replaced them one by one till the bubbles disappeared.
lf it's the case that the engine doesn't turn over, you will probably need a diagnostic reader to read the fault codes.
Bob.

ABliss
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane MKII 1.5DCi (80)

Postby ABliss » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:28 pm

grandadbobby wrote:Hi,
when you say 'not even a crank' do you mean the engine doesn't turn over, or do you mean not trying to fire.
The air in the fuel system is probably down to the quick release connectors, over time the seals go hard it seems.
l fixed this on my car by replacing the connectors with 10mm pipe off ebay. l replaced them one by one till the bubbles disappeared.
lf it's the case that the engine doesn't turn over, you will probably need a diagnostic reader to read the fault codes.
Bob.

Thanks Bob. Yeah the engine doesn't even turn over. Just the click from the steering lock unlocking, then BAM... error message along with a lot of nothing. The only time I have this problem is when I've left the car overnight standing still. And when I go to read error codes, it comes up with glow plug module control unit (P0670).

Could this be ECU related?

In another forum a suspected electrical fault, perhaps a worn cable shorting somewhere, could be the problem.

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi,
the glowplugs will give the message 'injection fault' if the circuit isn't right.
From what you say and the fact that it starts after a while, it could even be the battery terminals need cleaning.
l would check that first and also the large fuses at the positive terminal.
After that, the glowplugs and their circuit need testing.
There's stuff on you tube if you need it.
The bubbles wouldn't stop it from turning over, that's a separate issue to contend with, once the electrics are done in my opinion.
l don't think it's ecu related, more like just a poor connection somewhere, we always think the worst.
Good luck
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”