Megane II 1.4i Firing issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

kevhowson
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megan 1.4i 16v Dynamique

Megane II 1.4i Firing issues

Postby kevhowson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:36 pm

Hi ,
First time on here so hoping you guys might be able to help?
My 2004 1.4i Dynamique doesn't like starting in the morning. It will turn over but will not fire. If i open the bonnet I can hear a high frequency buzzing ,not that loud,coming from top left in the engine bay. If I hook up some jump leads to a spare battery the buzzing stops and the car will start immediately every time and be ok for the rest of the day. I thought initially it was the battery as its been on the car for several years by the looks of it, but I put a new one on last night and it did the same thing this morning.Could it be some kind of relay thats sticking somewhere?

Any pointers would be brilliant! :conf

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Megane II 1.4i Firing issues

Postby AlexB » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:30 pm

The next time this happens check the voltage of the battery. It may be loosing charge overnight, but then quickly charges once the engine has started. Check, clean and protect with silicone or other grease the terminals and any associated contacts. I think the problem is somewhere around the battery.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

kevhowson
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megan 1.4i 16v Dynamique

Postby kevhowson » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:41 pm

Will do that, any ideas as to what the buzzing sound might be ? It's there when I try to start the first time and stops as soon as the jump leads touch the terminals. It's odd as the engine turns over at normal speed , so it seems like it would be a very minimal voltage drop?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:04 am

My guess is that the buzzing noise is either solenoids or the stepper motor on the throttle. When the ECU is unsure about throttle position, it attempts to close it. A problem with the battery voltage may trigger such a behaviour. Some electrical buzzing is usually heard under the bonnet just before starting and after stopping the engine.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”