Gearbox oil

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Phil and Liz
Advanced Driver

Gearbox oil

Postby Phil and Liz » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:19 pm

On the 1.5 dci 5 speed 85bhp, is the gearbox oil separate from the engine ? If so in 10 years I've never chanegd it, only saked as when the drive shaft was removed i lost about half a litre or more. if it is where is the filler and what does it take ?
Phil and Liz Jackson
Lanark

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Gearbox oil

Postby grandadbobby » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:08 pm

Hi,
the 5 speed takes 2.5 litres, the level/filler plug is on the side of the gearbox at front end of the car.
Just use gear oil.
Bob.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Gearbox oil

Postby AlexB » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 pm

The oils are listed in the Parts section of the forum. They are thinner than for many other cars.

The oil is added to the box though the filling hole until it starts flowing out from the same hole. I usually trace a pvc tube there from the space under the bonnet, choose the largest diameter to make the process a bit quicker. One can attach the upper end to a plastic bottle and squeeze the oil in under pressure.

The filling hole has usually a plastic threaded plug in it, easy to undo. The drain plug is a metal bolt somewhere on the wheel side of the box.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”