Weird Locking behaviour again..

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Weird Locking behaviour again..

Postby q292u » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:05 pm

The Megane has started playing up again.
Last night the locks went berserk as I walked towards it. Indicator lights flashing etc.
I hadn't even pressed a button.. this is not the first time..

Did the usual - press lock and then unlock. All seemed OK until I switched the engine off and removed the card.
Then the doors all locked and the windows closed.. pressed lock and unlock again, and it was fine.

1. What the hell is going on?
2. What sort of battery does a 2005 Megane MK2 need? (I am at work, without the card, so I can't look..)

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: Weird Locking behaviour again..

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi,
l doubt it's the battery although the electronics are very sensitive to changes in voltage etc.
You could check the battery and charging rate as a matter of elimination.
lt sounds more like a touch of damp or even a money spider or ants got somewhere.
The electronics is like a nervous system in your car. Unlike the electronics say, in your television etc at home, which are inside in the warm, these are out in all varying temperatures from very hot days to minus degrees nights. With damp and condensation, over time, something's got to go wrong.
This talk of driverless trucks etc is ridiculous. lt's theory stuff thought up by clever university educated people who probably couldn't fix a puncture on a push bike.
At 12 years old, your car, like mine, shouldn't still be on the road, that's what the manufacturers want.
Look for damp or slight corrosion around connectors near the interior multiplex module and alarm module in boot, it's what we're up against.
Good luck
Bob.
l said my piece.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: Weird Locking behaviour again..

Postby q292u » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Sorry, we got our wires crossed! I meant the battery in the key card.. because it went apeshit when I got within range..

I agree with what you said about built-in obsolescence as well, and to make it worse, it will all have been designed by a committee, like everything in France..
Renault have always deliberately made their cars difficult to work on..

A bit of waterproofing would have gone a long way on the Megane, I think .

Return to “Problems / Questions”