No power below 2300 after turbo replaced

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

IanM
Currently Drives:: 54 plate Grand Scenic 2 1.9 dci

No power below 2300 after turbo replaced

Postby IanM » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi, new turbo core fitted to 54 plate Grand Scenic 2 1.9 dci (manual) 179000 miles

Now no accelleration below 2300 rpm(approx), great accelleration over this.

Fault P0670 glow plug control module fault, SERVICE INDICATOR light on & even though service mileage resets to 18000m the light doesn't go out.... Note engine management light NOT on!!

Strange that problem was not there before I replaced the turbo.
I've removed @ cleaned the EGR & manifold, not blocked, but oily.
Checked movement of vacuum actuator on turbo, checked operation of vaccum pump / connections (not 100% sure the turbo vacuum control valve (below ecu) is working correctly, but does seem to open close....
Glow plugs checked okay, glow plug dash light comes on for a few seconds when starting.
Checked turbo pipes.... Slight leak from one, but didn't make any difference.

I did fit an 'old' EGR valve (replaced 2 years ago & didn't get around to throwing it out). Car drove same upto 2300, but much worse over 2300... Refitted the later EGR & performance over 2300 returned, but below the same.... Wonder if I should try block it off?

The lack of power is much better when the engine is hot... Almost drives normally!!! Only P0670 code, which when cleared comes back again very quick.

Any one come across anything like this, especially the service light on without the engine management light ( which I think maybe significant). Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Re: No power below 2300 after turbo replaced

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:57 am

Hi,
l presume that there are no starting issues,
sounds like you've got two faults, but l think you can discount the EGR, that would throw up another code.
PO670 means you need to test each glow plug, if they are all good, check connections at glow plug module and relays.
The turbo sounds like the vanes are open all the time. When you fitted the new core, did you clean and check them. lf they seemed good then the vacuum control for the actuator, or the actuator it's self needs checking.
These things can be seen on you tube.
Good luck and let us know how you go.
Bob.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:05 am

I am sooo glad I bought the petrol model.
Even with the (stupidly) high road tax.
Most of the faults on this forum are dci issues..

IanM
Currently Drives:: 54 plate Grand Scenic 2 1.9 dci

Postby IanM » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

You are right in thinking there is no cold starting issue.

Whilst the EGR was off I could check the movement of the turbo vane actuator & it had full movement (yes the vane mechanism was stripped, cleaned, tested etc), if I had fitted it incorrectly I believe it would have restricted movement. I did try with a permanent vacuum & then no vacuum, & there was quite a difference in performance, so believe this isn't the issue (famous last words!).

The glow plugs themselves seem okay with the voltage test & from the cold mornings the last few days seem to be working.

I'm convinced it is heat related as when pulling away cold it's awful (no power at all), when warm the accelleration is better & when Hot hardly noticeable.

Because it's a bank holiday weekend & nothing better to do (!) - thank goodness it's a diesel :-) I'm going to remove the injectors & check the spray jets / pattern.

As a side thought, does anyone know where the glow plug relay takes its temperature feed from, I.e MAF / coolant sensor?

Many thanks

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi again,
when you say you tried it with permanent vacuum and no vacuum, how do you mean ?
Was it quicker with the actuator permanently vacuumed ?
ps l think the glow code is probably just connections need cleaning on module or relay
Cheers
Bob.

Return to “Problems / Questions”