Please can anyone help identify this noise whilst using the steering? *Videos*

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Jpmad4it

Please can anyone help identify this noise whilst using the steering? *Videos*

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Hi all,

Has anyone got any idea what this noise could be (see video links below)? It was only happening on full lock but now it seems to be doing it most of the time. It's usually much worse when moving the steering wheel when the car is stationary. I'm waggling the wheel side to side to get the clunking noise in the videos. It sounds like it's behind the dash, low down. I'm also getting the same rattle / clunk when driving slowly over bumpy surfaces, and when using the clutch and brakes. I'm also getting a vibration in the pedals too. Can anyone help?

Midlands Renault checked the car over a while back (probably 4 months ago). I've had the following work done: new shocks, a new ball joint, powerflex bushes in the wishbones, new inner steering rack bush (the small plastic white one), new inner steering arm, and a new top gearbox mount (underneath the battery). After that there was nothing spotted with the suspension, steering components, hub bearings seemed fine, and the driveshafts / CV joints seemed ok.

I have seen the video here of the continuous clicking when turning the steering wheel, but I don't have that symptom. I get a clunk when moving the wheel from side to side. So if I sit stationary and move the wheel a few centimeters to the left and stop, it'll make the clunking noise, and then if I move it back to the same position to the right and stop, it'll clunk.

Can anyone think what this could be? My local mechanic can't find where it's coming from!

Many thanks in advance. Video links below.
Jp

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: Please can anyone help identify this noise whilst using the steering? *Videos*

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Ignore it. It might go away..

Jpmad4it

Re: Please can anyone help identify this noise whilst using the steering? *Videos*

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

It's been there a year and it's just got worse over time

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:40 pm

Jpmad4it wrote:It's been there a year and it's just got worse over time

If it gets louder, then at least you will have no bother working out what's making the noise!

If something breaks, then you know exactly what it was.

** as you can tell, I have given up stressing about noises on old cars.. get a louder stereo.. **

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm

I wouldn't be too bothered if it was just a noise, but the handling is being affected too. It wasn't an issue at first but that has also started to become a problem.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Jpmad4it wrote:I wouldn't be too bothered if it was just a noise, but the handling is being affected too. It wasn't an issue at first but that has also started to become a problem.

Ah, that's different. Noises I can ignore, but I expect a car to go where I tell it..

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Me too, its annoying me now to the point where I just want to trade it in :banghead

grandadbobby
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: megan dynamique estate 1.9dci

Postby grandadbobby » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi there, can hardly hear it on video, but my guess is you've got a broken spring, right at the bottom where you can't see it. There is also a tab that might not be bent over the end of the spring, if it's sticking up it can catch the spring edge and make a terrible noise like a balljoint gone. Found that out once when l fitted a new spring on mine.
Good luck
Bob.

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Universal joint on column, bulkhead where the column connects to the rack?

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Can this noise be heard outside the car, or under the bonnet?
Is there any free-play? do the road wheels turn the instant you turn the steering wheel?
If the answer to the above is yes, then it is probably a universal joint, I think there are two of them.
If the answer to the above is no, then it is probably a bearing in the steering column tube,
or it could be a failing part in the column to do with the electric power assist if you have that fitted to your car.

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:01 am

Stevie67 wrote:Can this noise be heard outside the car, or under the bonnet?

Very very faintly when the car isn't running.

Stevie67 wrote:Is there any free-play? do the road wheels turn the instant you turn the steering wheel?

Not really. Although the steering tightens up a lot to the right. The handling does feel awful but I guess that could be due to the below ?

Stevie67 wrote:If the answer to the above is yes, then it is probably a universal joint, I think there are two of them.

Based on what I've said above it's not likely to be this then?

Stevie67 wrote:If the answer to the above is no, then it is probably a bearing in the steering column tube,
or it could be a failing part in the column to do with the electric power assist if you have that fitted to your car

More likely to be this? Would this require a new column or can the parts be replaced separately?

Thanks for the advice.

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:20 am

I have just had a look through the Renault literature and it would appear that the steering column is quite a complex piece of hardware, so I recon you won't be opening it up and replacing parts, hopefully it hasn't failed. There are two universal joints, as far as I can make out one is inside and the other is under the bonnet, from what you have said above, I guess the inside one is worn. So I would suggest investigating further before condemning any one part. You'll need to remove all the plastic under the steering column to expose the column itself. Then probably the easiest way is to get someone else to wobble the steering from the passenger seat whilst you find the fault. First find the inside UJ, possibly under the carpet, you might be able to see abnormal movement, if not try to grab the shaft (be careful not to put your fingers in the UJ while it is moving) and see if you can feel a vibration. If the UJ appears to be good, then use a stethoscope or screwdriver to the ear moving up the column until the noise gets louder. Steering columns are available online, but I notice that most come with a power steering computer, I don't know if that would need to be programmed to the car.

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 am

Thanks again. I had a look at the manuals too, and agreed it looks complex and not the kind of kit which has replacement parts if the actual column has failed.

The car is in the garage at the moment, it wouldn't start on Thursday. I think the steering lock unit has gone. I keep getting the reverse messages of "steering locked" / "steering unlocked" and the car wont turn over. The only way to start it was to bump start it down a hill. With all the waggling of the steering wheel to listen for the noise I'm suspecting I've broken the steering lock unit :banghead

I'll get the garage to look at the other issue too, the mechanic used to work at Renault and he had knowledge of the steering lock problem, so hopefully it'll all get sorted.

Will report back once I have news.

Jpmad4it

Postby Jpmad4it » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 am

Looks like the starter motor which is causing the car to not start.

Going to get that sorted and then look at the steering again.

Return to “Problems / Questions”