Rear Fog Light Megane 2 GT

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

1latino

Rear Fog Light Megane 2 GT

Postby 1latino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 am

Hello,

I got a Megane 2 GT (Station). There is a towbar instlled. After some searhcing I found out that the connector on the outside aside the towbar could be faulty I replaced it with a new one. Checked the rear fog light again but still not working.Could someone help me out where I could find the a possible error of how I can solve this issue?

Greets Daniel from Holland

Stevie67
Just Passed

Re: Rear Fog Light Megane 2 GT

Postby Stevie67 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:01 am

If you have a multi-meter, can you check for a voltage at the bulb holder, if not work backwards towards the switch, pay particular attention to the plug at the back of the light cluster.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:48 am

Stevie67 wrote:If you have a multi-meter, can you check for a voltage at the bulb holder, if not work backwards towards the switch, pay particular attention to the plug at the back of the light cluster.

Hello Stevie67,
Thanks for your reply. I will check the voltage at the bulb holder. And from there I will check the lead towards the switch of the rear fog light.
Is there anywhere a diagram of the wiring how to follow it? I also noticed that the ignition lock also doesn't work. I have been trying to check the wiring around the steering wheel to figure out where the fog light wire goes to. I don't know if I damaged a fuse or something that leads to the ignition lock.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:57 pm

1latino wrote:
Stevie67 wrote:If you have a multi-meter, can you check for a voltage at the bulb holder, if not work backwards towards the switch, pay particular attention to the plug at the back of the light cluster.

Hello Stevie67,
Thanks for your reply. I will check the voltage at the bulb holder. And from there I will check the lead towards the switch of the rear fog light.
Is there anywhere a diagram of the wiring how to follow it? I also noticed that the ignition lock also doesn't work. I have been trying to check the wiring around the steering wheel to figure out where the fog light wire goes to. I don't know if I damaged a fuse or something that leads to the ignition lock.

The power of the bulb is 4.8V.
Is there a possibility of a fuse somewhere?

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:54 am

Hi Steve.
"The power of the bulb is 4.8V."
I am not sure what you mean, the rating of the bulb itself should be 12 volts @ 21 watts, or do you mean that there is 4.8 volts at the bulb holder?
"Is there anywhere a diagram of the wiring"
Wiring diagrams are all on a computer program called "VISU", you can get them on ebay, I am not sure if Haynes have wiring diagrams.

Basic fog light circuit, from the switch a load of wires drop down to the passenger compartment computer (behind the dashboard), from the computer the fog light power leaves from the Grey plug(pin 6, violet wire) and goes to the "dashboard/left rear connection", this runs down the left 'A' pillar and the connection is under the seat. This connection should be black, the violet wire goes in through pin 15 and comes out the other side as a white wire. From there it goes to the rear light cluster, the white wire should enter the light cluster through a black plug on pin 2. The fog light earths from pin 1 of the same plug to an earth point behind and below the light cluster. I am quoting from a hatchback diagram but I assume my description will work for the station as well, however if the fog light is in the tailgate then there may be an extra connection somewhere round about the hinge, I can't find info on that.
The only fuse I can find is the one for the computer, if that has blown, loads of things won't work.

When you turn the fog light on, does the fog telltale light up on the dashboard? this will indicate if the switch is working, also if the computer is behaving correctly.

When you say "the ignition lock also doesn't work" do you mean the steering lock? if so can you describe what exactly you mean? Can you hear it when you start the car, and when you take out your card?

Steve.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:44 pm

Stevie67 wrote:Hi Steve.
"The power of the bulb is 4.8V."
I am not sure what you mean, the rating of the bulb itself should be 12 volts @ 21 watts, or do you mean that there is 4.8 volts at the bulb holder?
"Is there anywhere a diagram of the wiring"
Wiring diagrams are all on a computer program called "VISU", you can get them on ebay, I am not sure if Haynes have wiring diagrams.

Basic fog light circuit, from the switch a load of wires drop down to the passenger compartment computer (behind the dashboard), from the computer the fog light power leaves from the Grey plug(pin 6, violet wire) and goes to the "dashboard/left rear connection", this runs down the left 'A' pillar and the connection is under the seat. This connection should be black, the violet wire goes in through pin 15 and comes out the other side as a white wire. From there it goes to the rear light cluster, the white wire should enter the light cluster through a black plug on pin 2. The fog light earths from pin 1 of the same plug to an earth point behind and below the light cluster. I am quoting from a hatchback diagram but I assume my description will work for the station as well, however if the fog light is in the tailgate then there may be an extra connection somewhere round about the hinge, I can't find info on that.
The only fuse I can find is the one for the computer, if that has blown, loads of things won't work.

When you turn the fog light on, does the fog telltale light up on the dashboard? this will indicate if the switch is working, also if the computer is behaving correctly.

When you say "the ignition lock also doesn't work" do you mean the steering lock? if so can you describe what exactly you mean? Can you hear it when you start the car, and when you take out your card?

Steve.

Hello Stevie67,
The power at the bulb holder is 4.8 Volts.

"When you turn the fog light on, does the fog telltale light up on the dashboard? this will indicate if the switch is working, also if the computer is behaving correctly." When I switch on the fog rear light, at the dashboard the rear fog light lights up so the computer works fine.
What I also noticed that the red connector at the back of the column switch, that when i move around the wires of the red connector the rear fog light works some times. Does this mean that there is something wrong with the wires there? If so, should I replace the red connector and also the the wiring harness?

"When you say "the ignition lock also doesn't work" do you mean the steering lock? if so can you describe what exactly you mean? Can you hear it when you start the car, and when you take out your card?" Exactly like you discribe it! I hear it when I start the car and when I take out the card. But normally it locks the steering wheel so that it can't move, but now it doesn't do that anymore. Or is this normal that it doesn't lock the steering wheel completely.

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:45 am

Hi Steve,
The voltage at the bulb holder should be 12 volts, obviously when the fog light is turned on, so 4.8 volts is not good.
The wire wiggling trick is a good way to find a bad connection, it sounds like you have found the fault, or close to it.
It still may be a few things, a broken wire, an insecure terminal inside your red connector, a dirty terminal on either the female or male parts of the red connector. I would suggest trying to narrow down which wire is causing the problem, from the diagram that I have I can't specify which one it is, If there appears to be no burning or other damage, try cleaning the terminals with switch cleaner, or WD40 might work. Chances are that it is a loose terminal, I would not advise to just condemn the loom, as replacing it could be a big job, even if it is a broken wire, it is probably easier to just replace the broken wire.
Your steering lock sounds exactly the same as mine, it appears to be working (from the sound of it), but it doesn't stop the wheel from turning, however it sounds like it is not engaging correctly, it doesn't feel like that is how it should work. At some point I will investigate mine, I suspect it is just worn. I do know that if you replace it, the new lock will need programmed to the car by someone with the Clip software.
Steve.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:57 am

Stevie67 wrote:Hi Steve,
The voltage at the bulb holder should be 12 volts, obviously when the fog light is turned on, so 4.8 volts is not good.
The wire wiggling trick is a good way to find a bad connection, it sounds like you have found the fault, or close to it.
It still may be a few things, a broken wire, an insecure terminal inside your red connector, a dirty terminal on either the female or male parts of the red connector. I would suggest trying to narrow down which wire is causing the problem, from the diagram that I have I can't specify which one it is, If there appears to be no burning or other damage, try cleaning the terminals with switch cleaner, or WD40 might work. Chances are that it is a loose terminal, I would not advise to just condemn the loom, as replacing it could be a big job, even if it is a broken wire, it is probably easier to just replace the broken wire.
Your steering lock sounds exactly the same as mine, it appears to be working (from the sound of it), but it doesn't stop the wheel from turning, however it sounds like it is not engaging correctly, it doesn't feel like that is how it should work. At some point I will investigate mine, I suspect it is just worn. I do know that if you replace it, the new lock will need programmed to the car by someone with the Clip software.
Steve.

Hello Steve,

Due to also some errors coming from the column switch I ordered a new one that I will receive tomorrow.
I also bought contact spray specially for electrical contact points and joints.
I already sprayed it into the red connector. After doing that I noticed that the lights on the lower part of the doors that are also flickering due to a bad connection in the red connector is almost working fine. Tomorrow after receiving the column switch I will again spray the red connector and see how it goes. Hope the problem of lights in the door and the rear fog light will be solved. But I will keep you and the other posted.

Cheers, Daniel

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:10 am

Hopefully you will get it fixed, now that you know where the problem is, and yes, please keep us updated.
It is quite annoying when people don't reply, it is good for everyone to know how problems are solved.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Stevie67 wrote:Hopefully you will get it fixed, now that you know where the problem is, and yes, please keep us updated.
It is quite annoying when people don't reply, it is good for everyone to know how problems are solved.

Hello Stevie67,

I received the column switch and with that I don't have the SERVICE light, AIRBAG light burning anymore. Also the cruise control works again and the slipping sound of the slip ring of the column switch. So there I go solving some issues that I had. Also after installing the new column switch and reading the ODBII with a reader there were no more issues or problems.

I managed to make a temporarely solution to the issue of the rear fog light. I bought a sigarette plug with a switch, 6meter 1.5mm power cable and some soldering tin. I tinned the cable to the interal switch of the sigarette plug and connected it to the purple wire of the rear fog light.
When the power is going to the sigarette plug and I switch on the switch the rear fog light TURNS ON! So, NO PROBLEM! :cool:

So, what should be the problem is from the 12V coming from the switch to the rear fog light. The swtich isn't the problem because I got a new switch, but most probably it is the powercable of the RED connector that leads to the rear light unit!
What I also noticed if I didn't mentioned it before, is that the lower door lights don't light up completely. This is probably also due to induficient power to the connctions. So I am wondering if I put a new power wire for the ACC (siwtched power not the permanent power) to the RED connector 12V most probably the power problem should be fixed for the rear fog light and also for the rear door lights. Do you aggree?
I will post some pictures later on how I made a temporarely solution to pas teh MOT!
:pc

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 pm

I am not sure how strict the Mot is in Holland, but in the UK the basic rule of thumb is, "if it is there, it has to work" so all exterior lights have to light up to the correct brightness and colour. They don't have to be turned on and off by the original manufacturers switches, I mainly drive a 27 year old Land Rover, and believe it or not 27 year old Land Rover electrics are a lot worse than Renault electrics, they are simpler but when they run the loom up the inside of the chassis so that it rubs on all the crush tubes, well, they are a nightmare. Anyway, I replaced all my original LR switch gear with normal toggle switches, I know what they all do, but the Mot tester needs supplied with a bit of paper temporarily hung on the switches to identify them, then he is happy.
It sounds like you have found a solution to your fog light problem, but maybe not the original cause of the problem. I didn't realise you airbag light was on, but I suspect the car was seeing an airbag fault so lights up both the airbag and service light, with you working on the column electrics turning theses lights off would suggest the airbag problem was with the steering wheel airbag, you now have made better connections so the car can now see that the steering wheel airbag is good.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 pm

Stevie67 wrote:I am not sure how strict the Mot is in Holland, but in the UK the basic rule of thumb is, "if it is there, it has to work" so all exterior lights have to light up to the correct brightness and colour. They don't have to be turned on and off by the original manufacturers switches, I mainly drive a 27 year old Land Rover, and believe it or not 27 year old Land Rover electrics are a lot worse than Renault electrics, they are simpler but when they run the loom up the inside of the chassis so that it rubs on all the crush tubes, well, they are a nightmare. Anyway, I replaced all my original LR switch gear with normal toggle switches, I know what they all do, but the Mot tester needs supplied with a bit of paper temporarily hung on the switches to identify them, then he is happy.
It sounds like you have found a solution to your fog light problem, but maybe not the original cause of the problem. I didn't realise you airbag light was on, but I suspect the car was seeing an airbag fault so lights up both the airbag and service light, with you working on the column electrics turning theses lights off would suggest the airbag problem was with the steering wheel airbag, you now have made better connections so the car can now see that the steering wheel airbag is good.

Hello Stevie67,

I thank you for your reactions.
What i do wonder on what pin numbers or places of the red connector that switches on the lights, what cable is connected to what wire and where it leads to.
Maybe you can tell me of show me where I can find it.
I do got the program AutoData that can show you where and what goes, but not specified.

1latino

Postby 1latino » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:20 am

Hello Stevie67,

Today the car past the MOT. The mecanic didn't agree on the bypass that I made. It should be original!? :roll:
So he tried to fix the original cables and I don't know how. But it worked! :shock:
But he noticed that there was something wrong with the wire, but he connected it manualy without soldering it with a crimp tube on it.

Later after passing the MOT I noticed that the rear fog light works, but when it is turned on and I open up my driver's door (left door) the rear fog light flashes and turns off. So probably a wire problem in the (left) driver's door?

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:31 am

You certainly wouldn't be the first person to have an electrical fault in a Renault door.
From what you have said above, I suggest first looking at the condition of the door plug, at the hinge, remove the plug and look for water damage and clean if possible, also look for broken wires around the hinge area.
The car knows to turn on the courtesy lights when the door is opened, the car knows the door is open via a micro switch in the door lock.
The micro switch uses pins 39 & 41 on the door plug, 39 is earth and 41 is signal.
The courtesy light uses pins 2 & 3 on the door plug,
It is worth looking at the hinge wiring/plug, but I am beginning to suspect that the passenger compartment computer might be to blame, as that is the only place that the fog light and courtesy light circuits meet.
Incidentally the courtesy light and the rear fog light use the same plug at the passenger compartment computer, the grey one.
The fog light uses pin 6 and the courtesy light uses pins 9 & 10.

Return to “Problems / Questions”