Car won't start

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Juddy
Currently Drives:: Jaguar s type 2.7 tdv6

Car won't start

Postby Juddy » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Hi all, posted a while back regarding my 55 plate megane 2.0 16v. Bought with suspected dephaser pulley problem(according to breakdown man) anyhow changed the dephaser pulley and wasn't much better i.e. running lumpy, not revving properly and wanting to cut out. Anyhow after a while starting up/turning off the car just started to turn over very fast and not even trying to start. Anyhow after checking timing belt was still ok i removed all spark plugs to do a pressure test on all 4 cylinders and no pressure what's so ever. I'm thinking this could be a timing issue, anyway getting fustrated and nowhere fast i have removed the timing belt and I'm going to start from scratch regarding the timing side, so everying is out of sync and needs setting up. Any advice much appreciated. Also this isn't my everyday car so therefore not in no hurry but would just like to sort out the issue and hopefully get the car back on the road. Cheers.

Stevie67
Just Passed

Re: Car won't start

Postby Stevie67 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:35 am

After you refit the timing belt, if you still have no compression, look at the level in your coolant bottle whilst cranking the engine over. I the level is going up and down quite dramatically then you have a blown head gasket, if not it could be more serious mechanical damage caused be an incorrectly fitted timing belt.

Juddy

Postby Juddy » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:03 am

Ok will check after re fitting belt. What damage are you referring to? Possible bent valves? Cheers.

Stevie67
Just Passed

Postby Stevie67 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Bent valves is the usual......unfortunately

Juddy

Postby Juddy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:12 pm

That's just my luck! Lol. Hopefully I'll make a start this weekend taking the head off and see what damage it has caused. Cheers.

Return to “Problems / Questions”