Cigarette Lighter Illumination

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

FOOTBALLGETTO
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5 DCI OASIS 2006 55 PLATE.

Cigarette Lighter Illumination

Postby FOOTBALLGETTO » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:59 am

Hi

I am getting power to my cigarette lighter socket but the orange illumination ring is not lighting up at night with the headlights on. I know there is a bulb within the assembly, does anybody know what type of bulb it is? Just want to get one before I take the lighter socket out.

Regards

Tony

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Re: Cigarette Lighter Illumination

Postby triumph2.5man » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi Tony. Ciggy lighter illumination? Now that is an interesting little job - not! First of all the car handbook does not mention this bulb, which is ominous. The Haynes manual suggests that the bulb might be part of the ciggy socket and Renault should be contacted. Does not sound good.
The following are the facts! The bulb is in fact a mini capless bulb of the type often used in dashboard illumination. I have several in my box of bulbs accumulated over many years.
But how to fit, that's the problem! First of all the socket will not come out of the centre console. It is necessary to remove the handbrake lever surround panel (it unclips), then the top part of the centre console (around the gear lever) has to be unclipped. By pushing and pulling and bending a little bit this panel will just clear the hazard switch and start button. It can only be lifted a little as the wires to the socket plug are not very long. Reach underneath and unclip the plug with three wires. This will enable the ciggy socket to be seen from underneath. The gear lever boot means movement is restricted. Examination will reveal that the bulb is in a small, grey plastic housing which can be pulled away from the ciggy socket. There you have it in your hands! Removing the bulb is not easy. The grey housing splits into two by depressing two minute tabs then the bulb can be removed and the whole lot put back together. The bulb holder snaps back on. One caveat is the wiring. Blue, black and yellow. Black is earth, blue is 12v to the bulb and yellow is 12v to the lighter. I found that the insulation of the black and yellow wires had become brittle and the wires were bare for several inches. Classic signs of overheating probably by overloading the accessories. A thick layer of insulation tape did the trick. Hey presto, let there be light -orange light!
Best of luck, Mike

Return to “Problems / Questions”