Stop light problem?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Smockboy25
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 Dynamique

Stop light problem?

Postby Smockboy25 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

Hi!

New poster to here, am wanting some advice regarding the stop light on the dashboard?

Driving a 1.5 Dynamique, have had the Stop light come on twice with the oil light. Its intermittent in that it comes and goes.

Am going to check the oil level as it has had "change oil soon" on the dash for a little while now.

If it's not the oil any suggestions or ideas for what could be causing it?

Many thanks for any help/advice!

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Re: Stop light problem?

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. I am beginning to think this should be renamed "the 1.5dci forum" since problems with this engine exceed all the other variants. I can only attribute this to age and mileage wearing out the 1.5 engines!

I am afraid there is no easy answer to your problem. You are seeing STOP and no doubt the words "injection fault". Monswer Renault calls this a level 2 warning. It is nothing to do with your engine oil. It could be a warning of overheating but more likely it is a sign of low fuel rail pressure. Does it tend to occur when accelerating in a higher gear or going up hill? If you ease off the accelerator, does the warning go away? Each time you see this warning, a fault code is generated. If the warning goes away the fault code becomes a stored code. Your problem now is to identify what that code is. Do you have access to a code reader? Don't buy a cheap, hand-held scanner from ebay. It will not be able to contact your injection computer but will give you false hope by declaring no faults found. Your local Renault dealer will charge you around £100 for the pleasure of plugging in his CLIP computer.
On this Forum are some very long posts/threads that have been running almost as long as the mark 2 has been in existence and would take hours to read!
What I have written here is a start and the ball is now in your court. If you require further info, please post again.
Mike

Smockboy25

Postby Smockboy25 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike, the 2 times it happened the first time was driving down a normal road, pulled over and then maybe a mile later came on on way down hill.

If this keeps coming back how bad is it to drive as am few hundred miles away from home this weekend?

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:45 pm

Hello again. When you experienced this STOP warning, did the engine misfire or suffer any loss of power at all?
The Delphi manual says (regarding this message) "The driver should carry out repairs as soon as possible..."
Planning a long journey this weekend? Difficult to say without a firm diagnosis but you will be interested to hear that I see this message on my instrument panel all the time and have done so for over a year. If I ignore it and ease up on the accelerator, the light goes out and the error message disappears and there are no bad consequences. By all means make that journey but only if you have a recovery contract just to be on the safe side! Do check the water level first, just in case it is advaced warning of overheating. Keep your eye on that temp gauge.
Good luck. Please let us know how you get on.
Mike

Smockboy25

Postby Smockboy25 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks for more information, there was no loss of power or misfiring when it happened.

Will check the water level before setting back. Have got breakdown cover for the worst case scenario! If come on will ease of the accelerator and see if it goes.

Thanks again for all the advice!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:50 am

Hi Smockboy25,

Reading carefully your post... The oil-stop light, "change oil soon" message, you did not check/change the oil before posting this question - these translate as running the car into the ground while being unfamiliar with the basics of servicing.

Lubrication failure faults usually result in complete engine failure. They are usually caused by using a cheap oil, attempting to run it for longer than 50% of the stated drain interval, oil loss for various reasons, use of bad filters. Damage in the cases of lubrication failures happen very fast, every mile matters. I suggest to stop driving this car and change the oil. If you absolutely need to drive it tomorrow, then at least check the oil level and, in the case of significant loss, top it up with some 0w30 oil, then change the oil during the day. The oils suitable for this car are listed in our Parts section.

OBD scanners are irrelevant in this case, because everything is pointing at the same problem, including the human factor.

Smockboy25 wrote:Hi!

New poster to here, am wanting some advice regarding the stop light on the dashboard?

Driving a 1.5 Dynamique, have had the Stop light come on twice with the oil light. Its intermittent in that it comes and goes.

Am going to check the oil level as it has had "change oil soon" on the dash for a little while now.

If it's not the oil any suggestions or ideas for what could be causing it?

Many thanks for any help/advice!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”