Rushing liquid sound behind dashboard

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

ElectricDuck

Rushing liquid sound behind dashboard

Postby ElectricDuck » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:46 pm

So, just before NYE, my car finally decided to give up on me. Turns out to be a stripped bolt holding the coil injector in, causing a coil injector fault and a shuddering engine, which I'm getting repaired in a few days.

However, it has been very cold here the last few days (getting to -6°C), and the car has been frosting over, and then being de-iced during the day (sitting outside the house on the pavement, not in the driveway); so much so, even the windows wouldn't roll down, and the door handles were stuck. So, yesterday, I decided to start it just to make sure the same errors were occurring and it hadn't seized up. Started fine, usual expected errors, and only a bit of shuddering (takes a while until the coil injector works it way out). However, I could hear a rather strange noise behind the dashboard on the left-hand side, kind of like rushing water: read around a few places, but I'm not sure if its just melted ice running through the system, or air pockets have been caused by the frost, but the liquid seems to rush faster as I rev the engine up. Oh, and yes, had a quick look under the car, and no leaks spotted (phew!)

Any ideas?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Rushing liquid sound behind dashboard

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:23 pm

If the drains in the bulkhead are blocked, it can be the sound of water going into the ventilation and further under there carpets. Check the cubby holes in the floor! Don't run the fan meanwhile. If it is the case, then you'll have to replace the pollen filter before running the fan again. The bulkhead drains are easy to clean with a piece of wire through the grill near the wipers.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”