Weird tyre wear issue..

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Weird tyre wear issue..

Postby q292u » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:43 am

I noticed that the OSF wheel has naff-all tread on the outside edge. Probably tracking issue, I thought, but then I noticed that the osr tyre has a similar issue.
Before I replace both tyres, can anyone think what caused this ?

Oh, and I got lucky - a set of four Renault alloys with decent tyres for £60. Nice. Shpock strikes again.

tanto12
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane sport tourer

Re: Weird tyre wear issue..

Postby tanto12 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:47 pm

check wheel alignment could be to much toe in also check for worn suspension components and bushes
if at first you don't succeed get a bigger hammer

robbie1003
Learner Driver

Postby robbie1003 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:34 pm

you need a four wheel alignment doing professionally, any suspension bush faults or dodgy wheel bearings will be checked for as part of the alignment.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:43 pm

robbie1003 wrote:you need a four wheel alignment doing professionally, any suspension bush faults or dodgy wheel bearings will be checked for as part of the alignment.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought.
Incidentally the alloys/tyres turned out to be 185/60R15.. mine are 205/55R16. I could swap ALL my wheels, but not just two. Bugger. They are now on eBay..

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:40 pm

It's difficult to think of a fault that affects the front and rear in the same way, unless you're doing a lot of left turns... Is the steering wheel straight when driving straight? Is the car stable under strong side winds?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:09 pm

AlexB wrote:It's difficult to think of a fault that affects the front and rear in the same way, unless you're doing a lot of left turns... Is the steering wheel straight when driving straight? Is the car stable under strong side winds?

Steering wheel is offset (to the left I think). WHY?
Seems stable enough.

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:16 pm

If the steering wheel is offset this is an indication that the track rod ends have not been fitted equally. Fitting TREs tends to be hit and miss, done in a hurry by counting threads or crudely measuring. I have, over the years, seen some dreadful examples of TRE fitting resulting in inaccurate (and bordering on dangerous) wheel alignment. After TRE replacement the track should be checked but does anybody do this - except yours truly?
Wheel bearing play can easily be detected as can wear in the axial ball joint on the end of the rack. Got any broken road springs? I have, at various times, replaced all four on my car. Rear springs break low down in the rear suspension arms and the breakages can only be felt rather than seen.
Having a four wheel alignment check is a valid point but what is the point? The only adjustment possible is front wheel alignment anyway. If the body was found to be out of square, because of accident damage say, what action would be taken on an old car? (measure the distance between front and rear wheels both sides and this will give an indication)
Our Megane has worn out front tyres almost since we got it 7 years ago. Was it accident damaged? Who can say? Have replaced TREs over the years but only one suspension rubber. Alignment can be toe-out 1.2mm plus or minus 1.2mm. Thus alignment can vary from parallel to 2.4mm out. I have tried various settings ending up with parallel. I attributed the uneven wear to the fact my daughter (the main driver for many years) drove like the wind and would have kept up with Lewis Hamilton, not to mention the number of times she has struck the pavement, not all of which I was told! Now I am driving it, I expect the tyres to last longer.

I learned to accept many years ago that some old cars will wear out tyres faster than others. In my family group the big Galaxy wears all its tyres quickly but evenly because of the weight. The PUG 307 is a swine and goes through tyres like a hot knife through butter. No point taking it for an opotical alignment check as the work is not done correctly. As the ride height varies H1 and H2, the alignment also varies - a nightmare! My own, elderly Mondeo wears tyres equally. Budget tyres wear quicker than branded makes, or is that stating the obvious?

Any comments anybody? Just keep buying them there tyres!
Mike

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm going to go for a couple of partworns and get the tracking checked. I'd like the steering wheel pointing straight ahead. Then see what happens. The ride height looks ok on both sides.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:34 pm

The track rod ends are easy to adjust DIY if you want just straighten the steering wheel. My concern, however, is that both front and rear tyres on one side are wearing out... It can be a result of an impact on one side. If this is the case, then it is a garage work.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”