megane privilage 1.6 not starting

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sidecarf2

megane privilage 1.6 not starting

Postby sidecarf2 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:33 am

Hello. I've had this problem for a month now,sometimes it starts then other times it won't,and I have to bump start it,which it does everytime. I've changed the battery,coils and TDC or Cranksensor but it still has this problem.It also seems to be worse after its been driven and started and stopped a couple of times,like when you go shopping to several places.PLEASE SOMEONE MUST HAVE AN ANSWER,as the Renault guy wants to put it on there computer,but may not find the fault as it is intermittent.

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: megane privilage 1.6 not starting

Postby q292u » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:35 am

Does it turn over, or is it just dead?
If it's not even turning over, it could be the battery. That happened to me - the AA guy said the battery couldn't cope with repeated starting. I replaced the battery with a second hand one from a scrapyard, tested of course.

sidecarf2

Postby sidecarf2 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:32 pm

I've put a new battery on and still the same result. You can hear a noise like the fuel pump priming and when you press the start button nothing.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 am

Check the big fuse at the battery terminal and it's bolts for corrosion. The next guess is the starter. A bad starter often engages after being hit with a hammer.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”