Battery Change

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Norfolkchris
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1,5cdi
Peugeot GTI HDI

Battery Change

Postby Norfolkchris » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:33 am

I've trawled through the problem listed in the forum but I'm unable to find anything relevant to me. Hope someone can offer some guidance.

Megane mk 2 1.5 CDI was getting a bit difficult to start. Occasionally on the first push but usually on the second or third. I've owned the car for just over 18 months and felt it wasn't spinning over quite quick enough so decided to replace the battery.

Done this many times in the past both on cars and bikes so no fear. Negative first and last.

Bought new battery, whipped the old one off and put the new one on.

And now the problems started.

Went to start the car as per normal thinking it was job done. after 3 goes at it the car would turn over fine and a bit quicker than it had with the old battery. but the car wouldn't start. and now I couldn't get the ignition to turn off. Only thing I could do was disconnect the battery to get the ignition off. Come indoors and searched the internet to see if there's some weird procedure, which I couldn't find. Getting a bit dark so dark so decided to leave it until the next day.

Next day so start again disconnect the battery and then reconnect the battery. there is now a difference but only that I can now turn the ignition off if I hold the start button in without the foot on the pedal.

Any ideas or thoughts would be gratefully recieved

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Re: Battery Change

Postby q292u » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:40 am

Weird. I replaced my battery with no issues about a month ago.
I used a cheapie Bosch from the scrapyard, making sure it was a better rating than the existing one.
Is this something to do with the gubbins (fuses etc) hanging off the positive terminal, I wonder?
I'd check that first just to make sure something hasn't become disconnected.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:13 am

That business with "can't turn off the ignition".. rings a bell.
That's pretty much what happened with my old almost-dead battery. Only disconnecting the battery would reset it. Didn't try the "hold-start" trick.
In my case, though, replacing the battery fixed it.
I also have the issue that the car won't start if it's in gear, even with the clutch pressed, as the clutch wire is snapped. I have to press brake. Annoying.
Try clutch-pressed, brake pressed, not in-gear, hit start? I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Norfolkchris
Peugeot GTI HDI

Postby Norfolkchris » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:22 am

Just been out and tried the clutch (the one I normally use) brake, in gear out of gear. No difference still wont start.

Also checked the wiring from the positive terminal. Everything appears to be ok

Norfolkchris
Peugeot GTI HDI

Postby Norfolkchris » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:00 pm

checked the fuses on top of the battery they're all good.

Found on here how to check the glow plugs. Checked them they're all ok as well.

After I had finished checking everything I locked the car up using the keyfob as per normal. When the car locked I got a very high pitch tone from the car. I un locked it and the noise dissapered. Locked it again and then it was fine. Very bizarre.

q292u
Global moderator
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:29 pm

You just reminded me: when my battery went flat and wouldn't start the car (but would open it), all the lights stayed on and there was a high-pitched whine. Only disconnecting the battery stopped it. :(

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:48 pm

With a new battery the car is supposed to start straight away, with the first turn of the crankshaft. There might be another fault somewhere. Check the cover of the headlight access hatch on the front left wheel arch liner. If it's missing, then the PSU gets wet which affects all the electrics.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”