Megane 2 hazard lights flashing! Please help

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Rama78
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II 1.6 Dynamique

Megane 2 hazard lights flashing! Please help

Postby Rama78 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:57 pm

The lights on my 2007 megane have started flashing and I really need help. I've searched Google for an answer but no luck as yet.

When I start the car via the key card the hazard lights come on immediately and keep flashing. Sometimes pushing the hazard switch will turn it off and then sometimes it does nothing. Sometimes restarting the car the lights don't start flashing but then can come on when driving. I would then have to pull over and restart the car maybe a few times to get it off again.

When the car is parked and then locked the lights can start flashing again and sometimes if I open the car again and hit the hazard switch it goes off, close the door and lock it and it stays off. Then within time it can start flashing again!

This all really came to the fore today and it's been a nightmare. Car is parked for tonight in drive but worried this will come on when asleep and drain the battery.

Has anybody any idea what this could be and how to fix?

Please help and thanks for reading

camer000
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5dci 106 Dynamique.

Re: Megane 2 hazard lights flashing! Please help

Postby camer000 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:41 pm

It's unlikely to be related but when I was checking all the fuses both in the car and under the bonnet taking some of them out turned the hazzards on for seemingly no reason, so it's something you could check, make sure they're all in properly at least inside the car. Don't try to get to the ones under the bonnet unless you REALLY have too.

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:18 pm

Wow, that's a tricky one! Can you confirm there is no beeping noise during flashing ie, it's not the alarm going off?
The hazard lights are wired through the interior (UCH) and exterior (UCP) multiplex modules and there is no single fuse that controls the hazards. Fuse 7b on the UCP might be worth a look and a wiggle.
Question! When you get in the car, and before inserting the card, do the hazards come on as they should when you press the switch? And then go off when you press the switch again? Have you tried working it repeatedly to rule out a bad contact?
Take the easy route first. Try disconnecting the battery for a minute or two which will reset the UCH. It works with PUGS!
You will need to reset the clock and the window parameters.
If this does not work it might be necessary to remove the switch if only to see if it's a switch problem. It's a tricky little job but is well described in senor Manuel Haynes. My version of this manual is for vehicle up to 55 and I don't know what the procedure will be for later cars. I suspect your dashboard will be different to mine (2003)?
I think I can safely say that by 2007 Monsewer Renault had solved the problem of water leaking onto (and damaging) the PCB and plugs of the UCP so it is unlikely to be that. I am not holding my breath though.
The best of British with this problem - you will need it! Please let us know what the outcome is.

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks for replying mate. So do you think it could be water ingress somewhere and points need cleaned? I read somewhere someone saying it could be the actual hazard switch itself? It needs to be taken out and the points cleaned on it with electrical cleaner. How do you go about removing this though?

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:38 pm

Personally I suspect the switch. Do you have a Haynes manual? You need the later one that covers 02 to 08. It requires removal of the radio but I don't know what your later dashboard looks like to give more info. Please reread my last post. There are questions you have not answered. They might or might not be relevant....

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:07 pm

Sorry mate. You must have posted the other post while I was typing mine and I didn't see it. Thanks a lot for helping out. It's much appreciated.

I'm not sure if it goes on and off without card inserted. I know it definitely comes on when engine is started.

There is definitely know sound either or beeping noises, just the lights flashing

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:18 pm

I can't check the other things at the moment as the car is parked up for the night and it's too late. I'm really hoping you are on the forum in the morning to help me out.

At the moment the flashing has stopped since the last time I got it off but who knows when it will go off again.

How do I disconnect the battery? Is there a proper way to do it? Could there maybe be a problem with the battery itself?

Sorry for all the questions

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:07 am

Unfortunately the flashing lights have came back on while I was sleeping and the car battery must be dead. The key card now won't unlock the car as I was going to remove the car battery and try a new one.

How can I get into the car to open the bonnet. Please help

camer000
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5dci 106 Dynamique.

Postby camer000 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Rama78 wrote:Unfortunately the flashing lights have came back on while I was sleeping and the car battery must be dead. The key card now won't unlock the car as I was going to remove the car battery and try a new one.

How can I get into the car to open the bonnet. Please help

There should be a section on the bottom right of your keycard that you can remove where you change the battery and has the emergency key on. This then needs to go into the cap next to the door handle on the passenger side, then place the key in the hole on handle and pull away from the door. This then exposes the lock and you can open the car up that way.

Rama78
Passed Theory

Postby Rama78 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:59 pm

Thanks for the reply mate. I managed to do just that and got the battery removed. Going to buy a new battery in the morning and an Autospark has told me to get a new hazard switch. He thinks that's the guilty party

BrittanyTim
Currently Drives:: 2008 Mégane cabriolet

Postby BrittanyTim » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25 am

For info I have just resolved the alarm/hazard problem in my 2008 Mégane cabriolet by disconnecting the alarm. Found in the boot. Right hand side. Follow the siren cable back towards the wheel arch and disconnect the block connector. If hazards still flashing press hazard button in car. Thanks also to Martin at SMC motor group weybridge.

Return to “Problems / Questions”