Loss of Power

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

andystephens
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane 1.5dci

Loss of Power

Postby andystephens » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi

My megane has suddenly developed a loss of power when you hit 2000 rpm. Its like the turbo is not kicking in.

I have noticed a tiny bit of blue smoke. I took the EGR valve out and its covered in oil.

Does the mean my turbo is knackered? I got not warning codes from the OBD

Thanks

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Loss of Power

Postby AlexB » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:14 pm

Turbos make whining noise when on the way out. If your turbo was whining and final seized, you would probably be asking a different question. I think that in your case the ECU has detected some problem and decided to limit the engine to 2000rpm. Read the OBD codes before doing anything. It can be the case that the ECU has detected a difference between the calculated and measure air flow, or something like that...

Are you using a full synthetic oil and change it annually/9000 miles?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

andystephens
Currently Drives:: 2005 Megane 1.5dci

Postby andystephens » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:33 am

I have used my blue point obd reader and there are no stored codes however the check injection and service light are constantly on.

It is due a service but have always used correct oil

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Regarding OBD scanners. In my now gone 2003 1.9dci there were two OBD protocols enabled at the same time: K-line and CAN bus. The OBD was actually working on the old-style K-line, while CAN was for the proprietary stuff. Check all the protocols for being supported.

If the MIL light is on, then this is the ECU limiting the performance, which is probably good news.

If you mean that the car is due to service and the oil was not changed at 9k or 1 year whatever comes first, then it is a bad news. The standard drain intervals are not sustainable beyond the warranty period.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

M3gan3dci
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane 1.5 dci 86

Postby M3gan3dci » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Unplug the MAF sensor and see if it makes a difference

Return to “Problems / Questions”