Renault Megane 2006 2.0l 16v - Overheating

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Johan1985
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2006 2.0l 16v

Renault Megane 2006 2.0l 16v - Overheating

Postby Johan1985 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:44 am

Car is fine when driving normal, eg. 60km p/h in town on normal home to store trips. Engine is overheating, when trying to reach 100km p/h or more, the car struggles, basically it starts shaking like it is trying to push more power out of the engine, but can't. The car overheats then and the engine shuts off and then I have to wait for it to cool down to continue driving, however I can start it again, but it does not have any power to go forward and shuts off again. The temperature switch was removed and the fan connected directly by a mechanic, hence this didn't fix the problem as promised. The car also backfires / misfires when trying to reach that speed. I've checked the dipstick for the oil, doesn't seem like there is water in it. However I haven't check the oil cap. So not sure if it is a blown gasket. Vehicle has 159000kms on it.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Renault Megane 2006 2.0l 16v - Overheating

Postby AlexB » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:26 pm

What does Mr. OBD say? Apart from the obvious cooling system issues (the pump, thermostat, airlocks, blockages) it could be something about the O2 sensor and injectors. Look at the fuel trim first.

If the oil and coolant are clean, then the gasket is likely to be fine.

Did the car seriously overheat at any time? If it did, then multiple secondary faults may have occurred.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”