The Dreaded Steering Lock Issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Nelixuk2003
Currently Drives:: Megane II. Convertible 1.9 DCi

The Dreaded Steering Lock Issue

Postby Nelixuk2003 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi All

I know this is fairly well documented on here however, I have been unable to find any information as to how to remove the steering lock if the lock will not disengage.

Has anyone had much success in removing said steering lock when it is locked on and will not come off?

Would I be able to break it off (with a chisel or such like) and then replace it with a new one? whats the best way to get it off, Drill? Chisel? or simply brute force whilst trying to minimise damage to surrounding area?

I don't have the cash to replace the whole column but I do have the ability to reprogramme/blank a secondhand lock from another car, as per this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_HWXpSBWc

Kind Regards

Nelixuk2003

dai16550
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Dynamique 1.9Dci

Re: The Dreaded Steering Lock Issue

Postby dai16550 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:57 am

Better late than never on the reply I suppose. These locks are worse than a pain in the backside because (1) the securing bolt is not removeable because 'pin' that engages with the steering column prevents it's removal when steeering is locked (2) it undoes by turning clockwise not anti clockwise as any normal bolt (3) Over tightening either way will cause the head to shear off which makes it really difficult to turn when necessary.
If you can access a mechanic or Auto sparky with a Can Clip it is possible to release the lock sometimes but if it's truly gone to pot it is possible to remove the lock......neither quick nor easy though but a lot quicker and cheaper than taking it to Mons Renault.
If anyone needs help I'll post up how I managed to do it .

q292u
Global moderator
Currently Drives:: 2003 Clio. The Megane died.
2001 Audi A2 1.4 SE

Postby q292u » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:00 pm

Nelixuk2003 wrote:Hi All

I know this is fairly well documented on here however, I have been unable to find any information as to how to remove the steering lock if the lock will not disengage.

Has anyone had much success in removing said steering lock when it is locked on and will not come off?

Would I be able to break it off (with a chisel or such like) and then replace it with a new one? whats the best way to get it off, Drill? Chisel? or simply brute force whilst trying to minimise damage to surrounding area?

I don't have the cash to replace the whole column but I do have the ability to reprogramme/blank a secondhand lock from another car, as per this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D_HWXpSBWc

Kind Regards

Nelixuk2003

That anti-tamper device in the lock is a bit naughty.. (see video)
So, you need the gear to read and write the chip, or it's a non-starter.. (literally) :(

dai16550
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 Dynamique 1.9Dci

Postby dai16550 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:54 am

Wholeheartedly agree that the anti tamper device is a pain at best but not insumountable. If you can get the lock off (if it's unlocked) or a s/h lock the spring loaded pin can be removed from underneath......read that as the side without the connector plug........it is then fairly easy to open the case and remove the pcb gently of course. You do not need any fancy computers, connectors or a lap top to reset the 24c04 unit because no matter what you have to remove it from the pcb to reset it so why bother as it's easier and quicker to simply replace it. The 24c04 eeprom are readily available and cost about £0.20 each, best price I've had was £0.14 as I bought a few in case I botched it, the only other investment was a soldering iron with temperature control which was £12 and I needed a new one anyway. Case in point is that it is not a difficult job if you have a modicum of skill and ensure you get pin 1 right.......might add a magnifying glass is a useful addition as the chip is small. In essence you end up with a blank eeprom that the ecu codes to itself just as if you had bought a new unit from Mons Renault @ £360 + fitting.

Return to “Problems / Questions”