Rear brake bolt & piston reset

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Mikeyboy184
Currently Drives:: Megane 57 plate 1.5dci

Rear brake bolt & piston reset

Postby Mikeyboy184 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Good evening all,

I drive a Renault Megane 1.5dci 07 plate.

Cutting a long story short I recently replaced my front disks and pads (first time attempting this) successfully, now I am moving on to the rear disks and pads but I have a couple of questions which I hope you guys/gals can help because apparently the rears won't be as simple.

1. The bolt in the middle of the disk, does anyone have any idea what size the bolt is? I have been advised it is either 27 or 30mm? Also, will I need a bar to remove the bolt? I can only assume it's locked in tight?

2. In everyone's experience replacing the rear brakes, do I need the twisting reset tool for be piston? Or can I just close them without rotating them anti clockwise?

I appreciate any response, I am new to this so excuse me if I haven't used 'mechanical' terms haha.

Thank you,
Mike.

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: Rear brake bolt & piston reset

Postby taffyhl » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:35 am

My answers below:

1. On my 1.9dci 2004 it's 30mm. I used a breaker bar to loosen them but wasn't that difficult. In fact it was the caliper bolts I couldn't get off (no room for leverage and they were stuck fast) so didn't actually change the rear disks just the pads in the end. Front was easy so did disks and pads.

2. I didn't need a special tool to reset the piston. Just used a clamp and/or needles nose pliers. I can't remember which as I did both front and back for the MOT and used different tools on each, but definitely no special tools ;-)

Hywel

Return to “Problems / Questions”