Instrument panel issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

RustyGib

Instrument panel issues

Postby RustyGib » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi guys and gals,
New to this so forgive me if this has been covered.

I have a 2005 1.4 megane which has several faults.
To start as soon as a battery is connected to the car the rear fog, stop, and what looks like the speed limit or cruise control light appears on the instrument panel. They are dimmer than if it was in use and flicker as if there was a bad earth on the car. I have checked both fuse boxes the circuit board part of the panel(visually) and the control board above the glove box (visually) all appear ok with no signs of water. it also brings on the traction control light with the right indicator going on and off with the arrow light and the abs light with the main beam.

Im also getting a loud cracking noise which seems to be coming from the steering rack although it dosnt do it when the weight is off the front which i would think is strut tops. Do the electric racks give problems?

The car was idling at 1800rpm which i have sourced to be an altenator regulater fault. Dont know if any of this is linked.

Any help would be appreciated.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Instrument panel issues

Postby AlexB » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:00 pm

The cracking noise may be due to a suspension spring broken at the very end, a few inches - they do it occasionally. It can be alkso the subframe, if any job on it was done recently, unlikely otherwise.

No idea about the instrument panel - sounds like the power or ground circuit. There were many reports when all the instruments were going crazy due to power supply problems, ultimately caused by the fuse box under the bonnet a.k.a. PSU. Just in case, check the headlight access hatch cover on the front left wheel arch liner. Water gets to the PSU if it is missing.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”