Awful smell when Engine is warmed up

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Colsta
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Convertible 1.6 Dynamique

Awful smell when Engine is warmed up

Postby Colsta » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:39 am

:conf so, since aquiring this lovely piece of kit, ive noticed a odd smell ommiting from the passenger side of the vehicle (near side) its only really happening after the car has been warmed up or idle for at least 5-10 minutes. At first i thought it was electrical, but the more ive become acustom to it the more of a hot oil / engine smell its become! Im assuming its a oil leak of some kind as ive noticed it is slowly lossing levels not to mention the nice oil like dampness on the nearside of the block on the side! Checked both water and oil resevoirs and caps... no mayo, but heard of numerous faults including bust seals ect...
Can anyone shed some light as its the first thing on my list that i would like to solve / sort! ... no to mention it stinks lol i have an asumption that the leak is minor but due to it being on the block gives of the strong wiff when hot!

Any imput is welcome! But cant see any obvious head gasket related issues! No power loss.. no service light etc... :conf :cry :conf

emrekurubas
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2 HB 2003 1.6 Gasoline

Re: Awful smell when Engine is warmed up

Postby emrekurubas » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:46 am

Do you turn the heater on when you start the car? It could be about the air filters.

Colsta

Postby Colsta » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:43 am

i thought yhe same but the smell is only when warm and can smell it outside as well as in.. but a valid point about filters i will check it! Its just odd as its a cross between a very hot engine smell and hot water / oil!! But no mixing or fluid loss on both! But is residue on block on nearside :banghead :cry
emrekurubas wrote:Do you turn the heater on when you start the car? It could be about the air filters.

Colsta

Postby Colsta » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:25 pm

:conf anyone??

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:15 am

:-) I know you said it's likely not to be electrical but it's worth checking electric window motor. Our meg would stink about 10 mins into driving and motor was burning out due to water ingress; said window is on it's third motor.
At least if you check it you can discount it.

Return to “Problems / Questions”