mass air flow sensor

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

mass air flow sensor

Postby almcgrail » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:41 am

Ey up team.
My espace 2.2dci auto has been through 4 maf sensors in the past couple of month, when they fail car is in limp mode with no warning lights. Unplug maf or change it and it's fine, until maf goes again.
Does anyone know why this could be happening?
Cheers. :-)

MilosB
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: R. Megane 2 1.9dci sport package

Re: mass air flow sensor

Postby MilosB » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:41 pm

get an OEM replacement MAF ie VDO-siemens, not the Chinese copies (ps you should have warranty on them) !!
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:47 pm

To my knowledge they have all been oem quality, and all been replaced on the parts warranty.
I have unplugged the maf but are there any dangers of I leave it unplugged?
I read somewhere that KnN filters have oil on them which can upset the maf, but is this a load of rubbish?

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:27 pm

its not rubbish, tiny particles of oil will separate from the filter and get on the MAF. and yes there is oil on the k&n filters, they work only when oily. and when you clean it you have to re-oil it.
leaving the maf unconnected will cause higher fuel consumption, lower power, as the ecu will work in "safe zone" regarding fueling.
Renault Megane II 1.9dci sport p. 3dr. lowered on koni's,and exhausting through sebring

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:06 pm

:-) So maybe loose the KnN and new maf might be the solution.
However our megane has had KnN panel filter for a few years and had no problem with maf.

MilosB
Advanced Driver

Postby MilosB » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:53 am

Wouldn't know :/
it could be the oem was more resistant to the K&N than the after-market one

almcgrail
Pass Plus

Postby almcgrail » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:02 am

Just an update regarding the maf.

I've left it disconnected for 2 full tanks of fuel and apart from an ever so slightly rougher idle on cold mornings (very slight indeed!) mpg has improved!

Averaged 25mpg instead of 20mpg this month and managed 450 mile from a full tank. Add together the fact that espaces are shite on fuel, mine's an auto and I live in Sheffield, so this for me is quite good. Our megane only manages 35mpg round our end.

However, when i get round to it I'll have to compare figures with a standard air filter then see if a new maf will last with it as I'm sure it's the knN that's breaking the mafs Ives previously had fitted.

Return to “Problems / Questions”