can't start up my engine

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

xl2
Currently Drives:: Megane 2006

can't start up my engine

Postby xl2 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 pm

I have a Renault Megane 2006 car. In the first day I just washed it outside and did some cleaning inside, also added some engine oil, then I drove it to my parking area, that's it and everything is fine, in the second day morning I just can't start up the engine. If I put the key card in and push the button and press brake I can hear the noise in the beginning and some dash board lights also flash, but after few times trying they are all gone. Does anybody have any idea what's going on in my car please? Any response would be highly appreciated. Thank you in advance

OlderMan
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 door 1.6 petrol 2003

Re: can't start up my engine

Postby OlderMan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 am

I have just taken possession of a 2006, 1.6 petrol that doesn't start.
Engine throws over but fades quickly.
So this weekend my routine will be, which I suggest you follow:
Fully charged battery that holds its charge, check petrol in tank and give a few throws.
If that fails, pull off 2 ignition coils and using good clean spark plugs, spares if you have them to save time, clamped to engine block and earthed, get the wife start the engine and confirm spark. Repeat for next two. If not all spark, check the wiring lead from the ECU to the coil on the non sparking. If good get new (er) ignition coils and try again.
If none spark, check leads, remove and clean spark plugs and repeat, eliminating fault parts as you go.
If none spark and the leads are good and you have replaced the coils, then I would guess the ECU is at fault, but someone else might be able to advise further on that.
If all spark and still not firing, check air filter, see if the plugs are wet with petrol. If the air filter is good and the plugs are wet (meaning petrol is getting through), then I am at a loss.
If plugs are dry check the fuel pump. That almost certainly means taking it out of the petrol tank.
If you feel confident you can do that (better at your own place) than a shop car park. then I can add notes later.

Regards,
OlderMan

mrvandango
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci dynamique tourer

Postby mrvandango » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Is it possible that when you washed the car that some water got into the fusebox? Only takes a few minutes to take a peek.

OlderMan
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 door 1.6 petrol 2003

Postby OlderMan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:49 pm

I hope X12 got his problem started.
My apologies if I seem to be hijacking your thread.

I've not had any success. I followed the procedure I outline below.
Fuel pump works but no spark at spark plugs.
I bought a VS600 (VGate), which seems to be an ok Code Reader from what I could see on other forums. But it won't/can't connect (electronically) with the car!
So now paying £41.40 for a roving mechanic to come and tell me what is wrong. ( I hope it is not just a weak battery, which it is, although it throws over healthy enough for the first 1/2 doz times.)

Regards,
OlderMan.

Return to “Problems / Questions”