Intermittent Lumpiness !!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

MeganeMule
Learner Driver

Intermittent Lumpiness !!

Postby MeganeMule » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:05 am

Initially I thought the lumpy idle on my 04 1.5 Dci was down to the engine being cold. But now it just seems totally intermittent. Some times on cold start she ticks over nice then all of a sudden it's like there's a bag of spanners in a washing machine. Other times it's been running sweet up to temp the say stop at a set of lights and the fast spin is back ! Never have any warning lights etc and picking up the revs by a tiny amount clears it.

Any ideas ?

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: Intermittent Lumpiness !!

Postby taffyhl » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:48 am

It sounds similar to the problem I have with my 1.9dci 2004 and have had for the 3 years I've owned it! Mainly happens after a long motorway run then slow traffic. I've put it down to the EGR valve not fully closing and having swopped the valve once, cleaned it and pipework etc basically given up and live with it! Garage suggested changing engine mounts but can't be this as sometimes it's fine, if I use it for a series of short journeys for example.

mrvandango
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci dynamique tourer

Postby mrvandango » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:45 am

I suffer the same with my 1.9dci. It comes and goes as it pleases, and mostly after long motorway runs too. My first port of call was to try cleaning the egr, but it's stuck solid for now!

I have improved matters somewhat with an oil and filter change however. Plus I dropped in a new fuel filter at the same time. While still idling a little on the rough side intermittently, the horrendous lumpiness has gone from it. It's been a vast improvement!

taffyhl
Advanced Driver

Postby taffyhl » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:44 am

I've done oil, oil filter and fuel filter and it does help as you say. I now have two EGR valves (bought a spare so car not out of action whilst I leave one soaking overnight). Takes a little patience to get valve out the first time. I took out bolts and used piece of wood and hammer to move back and fore bit at a time then got a long screwdriver shaft between EGR valve and engine and gently pried (note used shaft not sharp end of screwdriver). Once off I put a light coating of WD40 or similar on body before re-installing. Never had a problem removing since then.

Of course now I've had a P0487 error for a couple of months which could mean EGR valves are both shot (tried both) or it is genuinely a wiring fault. Most likely scrap the car when MOT is due (July) as don't wanna put any more money into the Megane pit.

mrvandango

Postby mrvandango » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:54 am

So, whilst randomly reading through some old posts I happened across this:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15788

Cleaning up the breather system might be a good place to try next..

taffyhl
Advanced Driver

Postby taffyhl » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Alas I have cleaned breathers too and even changed the PCV valve with associated pipework (£72 for a simple valve and bit of rubber pipe!!!). To be fair it's running a little more consistently unlumpy at the moment following an oil change on the weekend.

mrvandango

Postby mrvandango » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:36 am

Oh boy! It's not an injector problem is it?

MeganeMule
Learner Driver

Postby MeganeMule » Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:26 pm

Never had any injector warning on dash and no fault codes to reflect , just going to live with it !

Return to “Problems / Questions”