start / running issues

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

sh4d0w0lf
Currently Drives:: 03 Renault Megane MkII 1.6

start / running issues

Postby sh4d0w0lf » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi guys, I've got an 03 plate megane ii 1.6vvt

Now I'm aware that my de-phaser is in need of replacing but that's going to have to wait a couple of months what with christmas almost round the corner.

The problems I've been having with the car besides from the obvious dephaser issues are it takes anywhere between 3 - 5 attempts to start the car (the starter will run for ages before the engine will kick in, I have to let it warm up for around 5 mins (even in summer) before I can drive off as it will stall otherwise.
I've also noticed a smell of petrol when I start the car up (it does clear up after the car is running).

More recently its started to stall when I have to stop, I can rev the car above 1000 rpm to keep it running but the second I take my foot off the pedal it dies. :? In hand with this issue is that if it does stall sometimes it wont start up for a while (quite scary when it happens in traffic) it just keeps turning on the starter and doesn't seem to show any signs of wanting to start.

I've noticed that the coolant sensor keeps dropping to 0 so I'm going to replace it monday. Could that be a partial cause to one of the issues?

So far I'm planning on replacing the coolant sensor, the crank sensor and the vapour purge valve..

Oh and before I forget its running rich. I've replaced the seals in the airbox so its shouldn't be that that's causing the issue.

It just seems to be one problem after another with this car. If I can solve these issues then I don't mind getting the dephaser replaced as its a good car otherwise.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: start / running issues

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:48 am

could some of these issues be related to the de-phaser not doing its job correctly
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

sh4d0w0lf
Currently Drives:: 03 Renault Megane MkII 1.6

Re: start / running issues

Postby sh4d0w0lf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Just an update, I went and spoke to a mechanic at Mitchells Renault over in lowestoft and he gave me a list of things to do / check.
The cheapest / easiest thing to do was to clean the throttle body, it didn't look that bad to me when I fitted it earlier in the year. So after cleaning it with carb cleaner and some kitchen roll I have a working megane again! :rock

I'm going to wait until after christmas before I change the Dephaser / cambelt ect and I plan on changing the battery and fuel pump which may be causing me some issues..

Return to “Problems / Questions”