Steering wheel locks and electrics die for 2 seconds while driving

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Alexlotus26
Currently Drives:: Renault megane 2 2003

Steering wheel locks and electrics die for 2 seconds while driving

Postby Alexlotus26 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:48 am

While driving my 2003 Renault Megane the electrics just go dead for 1-2 seconds the handbrake light goes on for 1-2 seconds and the steering wheel locks or actually becomes heavy for that 1-2 seconds,then everything goes back to normal.This happens once in a couple of months,unexpectedly.Whats is it and is it very dangerous.???Thank you

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: Steering wheel locks and electrics die for 2 seconds while driving

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:06 am

If it locks the steering wheel it's very dangerous and you should refrain from driving the vehicle until the problem is sorted out
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Mikeyboy184
Currently Drives:: Megane 57 plate 1.5dci

Postby Mikeyboy184 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi Alex,

I used to have the exact same problem, does your radio often blink on and off too? If so, on top of your battery is a black fuse, this will need replacing, or has come loose. I nearly had a lot of work done to my car before it broke down at a shopping centre, an AA mechanic realised my battery was working before he attempted to jump start it with his van, he placed a little bit of sandpaper beneath the fuse and presto, a temporary fix until I bought a new fuse for a couple of pounds off eBay.

I hope this helps.

Bensplace
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.6 Privilage

Postby Bensplace » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:28 pm

This happened to a friend of mine , he found it was the Card slot, a micro switch was broken which made the card a bit loose.I know he fixed it. Glue and a paper clip i think, i kid you not.
Any way hope this helps

craigyg3005
Currently Drives:: 2008 Renault Grand Scenic Dynamic 1.6 ltr petrol VVT manual

Postby craigyg3005 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:57 pm

i would put money on it been the card reader not so much the slot but when you remove it there is a ring that goes around it this is what reads the card you can get it replaced for around £100 supply and fit. Ive had this issue on several motors and its always been the card reader

Return to “Problems / Questions”