Megane 1.5 DCi 2003 Injection fault.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

robertd275
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 1.5 DCi

Megane 1.5 DCi 2003 Injection fault.

Postby robertd275 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:04 pm

I apologise that my first post is asking for help, not the greatest etiquette for an online forum I'm aware.

I'm having a few issues with my Megane, it was purchased last week and I've already had to have a new alternator fitted, now a problem has worsened with the injection too.

On my motorway miles I was alerted to a message on the dashboard indicating that there was an injection fault upon applying more gas - I dismissed this due to thinking that the car may have just been sitting around for a while, causing a slight problem as I am a bit of a newbie in the mechanics world! Recently the light has changed to a permanent "Check injection" as well as the intermittent problem when accelerating.

Today there is a very strange sound on the car, almost like a hollow plastic-ey sound when accelerating. The whole engine block rattles like crazy and this is all if I can get the car to start in the first place.

I'm only on internship wages and this car has already taken a lot of money out of me, so if anyone could give me some advice, I would be incredibly grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Re: Megane 1.5 DCi 2003 Injection fault.

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Don't apologise Rob - what you are experiencing is the norm!
Hindsight is an exact science and you should never have bought this car. Early DCIs such as yours and mine are disappearing from the roads at an alarming rate. They will by now have covered over 110k miles or more and fuel injection faults will be legion. The number of members viewing this forum has dropped drastically.
What you are experiencing is low fuel rail pressure because of one or more leaking injectors. By "leaking" I don't mean that fuel is running all over the floor! Leaks are internal and although leak-off is part of the system, when the leak-off gets too bad the fuel rail pressure drops. At first you get a warning "check injection" then the engine will stop as the fuel rail pressure sensor detects the drop in pressure and switches off the injection computer. We received these messages many times over the years. Sometimes if ignored, they would go away but they always returned. Remember, it only takes one leaking injector to lower the fuel rail pressure even if the other three are perfect.
But what can you do about it? Injectors are expensive, even used ones of doubtful condition. Look on Ebay - the prices are a joke!
If you are a hardened mechanic (like this old scribe!) it is possible (without diagnostics) to check which injector is leaking, remove it, split it and clean it before replacing without recoding. I suspect you are not in this category. Work on fuel injection can be expensive if one is dependant on others to do the work bearing in mind the older cars are virtually worthless.
And as for the strange noises, we have heard some dreadful (and worrying) noises from our engine.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as our old member Dave Lowe used to say, "sell it before it bankrupts you!" As Dave has not been a member for some years I can only assume he took his own advice.....
Best of luck...mate.
Mike

robertd275

Postby robertd275 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:48 pm

triumph2.5man wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as our old member Dave Lowe used to say, "sell it before it bankrupts you!" As Dave has not been a member for some years I can only assume he took his own advice.....
Best of luck...mate.
Mike

Hi Mike, what a fantastic reply, thank you wholeheartedly for your in depth response!

Troubles have persisted this week, although I only have issues starting the car, it otherwise runs fine!

My only issue in my scenario is the money I have available - any car I can afford in the under £1,000 category pops up with some expensive faults, so it's weighing up whether to cut my losses with this and take a step back to a tiny little banger that will last me a year, or spend the price of one of those cars repairing this one?

If it is definitely the injectors that are the issue, and the car will last a while longer after this spend-out, then I feel it may be worth it.

After spending money on an alternator already, I'll definitely make a loss selling the car on, but if it's going to cost me more after the injectors, then I'll cut my losses. I'd be grateful for your honest opinion.

All the best,

Rob

Mikeyboy184
Currently Drives:: Megane 57 plate 1.5dci

Postby Mikeyboy184 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Hi Rob,

What can I say, I am the owner of a 53 plate me game which has finally packed in! 2 years ago I had the dreaded 'check injection' permanently glued to my dashboard. My car started to struggle starting in the morning, but would eventually kick into life with a puff of white smoke out the back, eventually, I replaced the broken injector and it it worked (for a short period of time).

I would drive on the motorway and have a 'injection fault' warning pop up when travelling '70'mph...... But then disappear, my car then started to rattle violently when at traffic lights, basically, my car was dying, and this past week end, died! My advice would be to get rid of it, before it packs in permanently, once you get the 'check injection/injection fault' issues, it's not long before your wallet empties, and your car dies!

ive just bought a 57 plate megane..... I feel like I am living in fear of it tbh! But I love Meganes!

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:26 am

time and time again I read of this fault and want to buy every car with it and knock it back out running perfect for a £9 spend/fix ....

simply order one of these, remove and fit it where the priming bulb is and wire it in parallel with the diesel cut off valve on the injector pump....

from absolute non runner several garage fails to fix, I decided to try this and mine ran for 2 years in my ownership and I got a good part ex when I finally changed vehicles....just checked and its still on the road 5 years on...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-Universal ... 33a12375d0

what the fix actually does is keep a steady air free stream of fuel through the filter to the injection pump and eliminate the air bubbles in the fuel flow to injector pump and return from the injector bleed off and for all those nay sayers who have taken peanuts for there injector light poorly running or non starting cars that have air in their fuel lights and the car starved of diesel....

This fix works and works permanently and your car will suffer no poor starting and no loss of power and no injection light.

robertd275

Postby robertd275 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:14 pm

petepete wrote:
what the fix actually does is keep a steady air free stream of fuel through the filter to the injection pump and eliminate the air bubbles in the fuel flow to injector pump and return from the injector bleed off and for all those nay sayers who have taken peanuts for there injector light poorly running or non starting cars that have air in their fuel lights and the car starved of diesel....

This fix works and works permanently and your car will suffer no poor starting and no loss of power and no injection light.

There have been a few air bubbles so this would make a lot of sense to try, thanks for your advice, worth a go at £9!

I'll let you know how it goes.

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:21 pm

I bought my pump a few years ago and it fitted snuggly onto the pipe once the primer pump was removed needing no clips and was a ten minute job....

I don't do hugs and kisses, just give a tenner to charity you ve saved so much and got your car back ...

Mikeyboy184
Currently Drives:: Megane 57 plate 1.5dci

Postby Mikeyboy184 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:34 am

My old megane is still sat on my drive waiting to be scrapped! But every time the AA was called out when having the injection fault they noticed air bubbles in my fuel line (and give the little black thing a squeeze) I will definitely try this on that car, could be the difference between £20 scrap, or a couple of hundred in sale.

I'll try and give this a go and see what happens (expect a pm asking for a little more help, I'm new to this fixing cars larch)

robertd275

Postby robertd275 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:42 am

petepete wrote:I bought my pump a few years ago and it fitted snuggly onto the pipe once the primer pump was removed needing no clips and was a ten minute job....

I don't do hugs and kisses, just give a tenner to charity you ve saved so much and got your car back ...

I'll be setting up the charity of Petepete if this works. "Hundreds of misunderstood Megane's are taken away from their owners too soon. If you could pledge just £9 a month, you could help provide a Megane with the pump it needs to get back on the road."

Sam123321

Postby Sam123321 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:17 am

What part do I need?

Return to “Problems / Questions”