reading on temperature guage..1.5 diesel

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

reading on temperature guage..1.5 diesel

Postby petepete » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:29 pm

can someone tell me if my temp guage should be here when fully warm..

it never goes above this and stays there constantly when driven..

https://screencast.com/t/E2GMdeX18236

problem I am having is with a diesel powered pre heater (webasto) that is programmed to cut off at 76 degrees centigrade I am finding the temperature guage showing exactly the same as above and the car thermostat is opening and letting water around the main cooling radiator .. This in a very slight wind is cooling the water just enough to keep the webasto heater running and wasting fuel heating a main radiator it shouldn't be ...

I can only conclude the Renault thermostat and guage reading are normal and the fault lies with the webasto getting too hot....

or

the webasto is working correctly at 76 degrees and my Renault thermostat is cutting open too early and not rising high enough on the guage..

Is my car temperatue guage showing the correct reading for a fully warmed megane 1.5 dci ?
Last edited by petepete on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Re: reading on temperature guage..1.5 diesel

Postby eric » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Mines the same as yours, but I've always thought it should read in the middle like other cars I've had or driven.

Philthy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane Scenic 1.9DCi

Postby Philthy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:04 am

Not directly connected to your post, but my temperature gauge never moves either on my 1.9dci. I watched it properly using an obd bluetooth adaptor, and the torque app on my phone. It does vary, but not very much, maybe a swing of 5c at most. This has been on cold mornings (almost frosty), to hard driving on the French peage at 140kph. It could just be a lazy sensor, but I am more convinced that my megane has a very efficient cooling system.
Diesels burn cool anyway compared to petrol, but I have been sat in stationary traffic in almost 40c and not heard the fan come on until I turn on the air con (which uses the cooling fan to cool the air con expansion chamber in front of the radiator).

It sound like you must be in a cold climate?

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:33 pm

i have since discovered...

the megane thermostat opens at 83c

the webasto trips out supposedly at 76c but can run up to 83c and being as I didn't realise I had fitted a 16mm coolant hose bend rather than 19mm and the water is not circulating as fast as it should through the heater ... it will return slightly cooler allowing the webasto to run hotter on its output side which takes my temperature needle just above the normal mark we all agree on...

I m not so much in a cold climate .. my car is used for short journeys and can do as little as 25mpg and the engine seldom gets up temp... I can now get 41 mpg using it the exactly the same on a pre warmed engine and with the heater run on red diesel at less than £2.50 a uk gallon and it uses very little... not to mention the eradication of cold starts and savings on wear and tear...

Philthy
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane Scenic 1.9DCi

Postby Philthy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:29 am

Sounds like a very useful bit of kit to have for the winter!

petepete
Just Passed

Postby petepete » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:45 pm

it is a great bit of kit, one I am now upgrading to webasto 2014 spec...

selectable remote switching of...

heat engine and heater.

heater priority heat engine.

heater only.......................................... 8 minute defrost using very little fuel.

Return to “Problems / Questions”