1.9dci high oil consumption. PCV valve, and oil seperator

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

olechristiansen

Re: 1.9dci high oil consumption. PCV valve, and oil seperator

Postby olechristiansen » Wed May 11, 2016 9:53 am

Hi
This has been of great help to me. My Scenic 1.9 dci started using a lot of engine oil (more than 1l / 1000km).
The dealer changed the turbo, but that did not help at all, only drained my budget.
As the dealer aparently do not know to repair their own cars i started myself.
I bought the valve here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... 8&_sacat=0
For about 50£ .
The drain, leading from the oil separator (under the oil filling cap) to the oil pan, was completely clogged and cleaning is important.
My efford have completely solved the problem, now the oil consumption is reduced to less than 1l / 10.000km.
Kind regards, Ole

olechristiansen

Postby olechristiansen » Thu May 12, 2016 7:13 pm

Hi Again
The seller on E-By have used a wrong decribtion of the PCV valve sparepart.
His decribtion is: "Kraftstoffleitung Dieselleitung" which is wrong, but the sparepart is the correct PCV valve with diagphram.
Thanks to you all.
Ole

triumph2.5man
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Mondeo TDCI mk3 2002
Pug 307HDI90 1.6 (family car)
Megane II dynamique 1.5dci 722 engine 2003
Ford Galaxy 115bhp 2002 (family car)
Megane 3 1.5dci 2009 832 engine (family car)

Postby triumph2.5man » Fri May 20, 2016 8:44 pm

A couple of comments about crankcase ventilation if I may, at the risk of boring somebody!
Excess blow-by is a sign of a worn engine because of high miles, short journeys or long service intervals and'/or poor oil.
It is a symptom, not a cause and by the time the PCV system gets in the mess seen here, any attempt to reduce it is clinging to straws. Over the last 55 years I have seen how manufacturers have handled PCV. In them there days, blow-by was exhausted to the atmosphere (I recall a mark 1 Ford Consul with a vacuum cleaner hose clamped to the oil filler, leading the fumes out and under the car!) Various systems introduced a vacuum to the crankcase and these worked OK but only while the engine was newish. As blow-by increased, the systems would be overwhelmed resulting in leaks via oil seals, rocker cover gasket etc and even blowing the dip stick out! Removing the oil filler cap from a really bad example resulted in a load "thrum" .
What has this to do with the Megane? When the PC Valve is closed, where does the pressure go?
The PDF page 14A shown earlier actually relates to the K9K and not the F9Q although the principle will be similar. The K9K is much simpler - no oil separator as such and the vapour is taken from the top of the cam cover which contains a simple gauze separator. A short pipe to the valve and that is that. I checked our 1.5dci today (110k miles 722 engine) and all was in spotless condition - the small bleed hole was completely unobstructed - clearly a better system than the 1.9. Also as a matter of interest, I checked the system on our mark 3 1.5 (832 engine) and it is similar to the mark 2 but the mk 3 does not use a valve at all! The fumes go straight into the air intake pipe. My every day car (Mondeo TDCI 2002) is the same.
Reference has been made here to oil in the intercooler. This actually comes from the oil vapour which coats the inside of the turbo, the intercooler and the charge-air pipework. Looking at our mk 3 from underneath this evening, the bottom of the turbo is a mass of oil which has come from the crankcase. It is not harmful, just a nuisance and the only way to stop it is to blank off the hole in the intake pipe and lead the pipe from the cam cover out and under the car in the manner of the 1953 Ford Consul. Environmentalists might not approve though and it is unlikely to reduce oil consumption!
Philthy, can you please give an indication of the mileage your car has covered?
Mike

robbie1003
Learner Driver

Postby robbie1003 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 am

i read this post with interest as i have been going through the same problem of lots of oil in the intake system. no the rings arnt buggered causing blowpast but the drain in the bottom of the separator was blocked, now its cleaned there is no excessive oil in my intake and leaks have stopped. reading this post tho iv decided to look into the valve, yes my rubber was stuck to the cap of the valve and little hole blocked with crud but to what detriment would removing the crudded up rubber from inside the valve be? as with most breather systems they do have a similar idea, all iv been involved with have no internal valve but have a mesh or filter medium. anybody tried running without its internals or without the valve?

biolandy
Currently Drives:: 2005 megane cabriolet coupe diesel
Landrover discovery td5

Postby biolandy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 pm

probably too late to help anyone but my 2004 120 dci cabriolet was using a lot of oil.I removed the separator attached to dipstick assembly, the rubber pipework off the bottom was blocked with a waxy substance.The little metal pipe running down into the sump was blocked with like black concrete.I could only shift it with turning a drill by hand and slowly got down to the bend with a long series drill.Then it was back to welding rod ,filed to a chesil point and after much pushing and ramming it finally went through the pipe into the sump.Then spent another chunck of time working the welding rod to and fro.Long story short done two trips to Croydon and back and not had to top up oil.
Oil can obviously drain back into sump now instead of being blown into inlet pipework

Return to “Problems / Questions”