use of TDC locking tool question

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

frodo7200
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 dci Est

use of TDC locking tool question

Postby frodo7200 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:27 pm

Hello everyone, got a question hope somebody knows answer to. Sorry its long.

Car is Megane II 1.9dci 130bhp 2005 facelift F9Q engine.

Ok, so last xmas went out to a show, moved the car after as was meeting friends and when came out realised there had been a really bad cold snap.
On way home later didnt notice at first but after couple of miles thought car bit noisy and realised loud knocking. Have another car so only just got round to looking at this one. Unsure if big ends or if its jumped a tooth on cambelt (overdue change), so first job check the timing. Read all the threads and got a TDC pin (with the screw thread).

My question is, is there more than one position in can go in?
Only place it seems to be able to screw in all way seems to be incorrect as cant turn engine without it hitting (presumably a valve) somewhere after about 90 degrees of the crank. Read online somewhere that the mark on end of crank is at approx 7 'o'clock when TDC. Confirmed this by using thin screwdriver in glowplug hole to find TDC and it seems to be correct, however the TDC tool wont go in as far as the thread in this position. With this setting (7 oclock) and cam sprocket on its mark, can turn engine fully.
To get the pin screwed in crank has to go till marker is about 8 oclock. https://www.flickr.com/photos/52610905@N04/ If I then re-align cam sprocket to its mark, engine wont turn more than about 80 degrees before hitting something and locking solid.

Any ideas?? Any one used TDC tool to set and can remember position of the marker? I'm fairly sure it must be the 7 oclock position as thats where number 1 & 4 are TDC using a rising marker, but why wont it go in here?
Looking at drawings in all the guides it looks like it sits under a flat spot on the crank rather than going into a hole, and that appears correct as there is a bit of movement in the crank rotation until its screwed all the way home.
I've done the start just before cam marker, move crank tiny bit at time pushing TDC tool in and out, and cant find another position for it, so what am I doing wrong? The only way to get it to miss valves would mean with the tool all way in the marker on the cam would be incorrect for TDC.

All suggestion gratefully accepted!!

peterabbott33
Currently Drives:: 2005 '55 Renault Megane II 1.5DCi 5dr Hatchback Remapped

Re: use of TDC locking tool question

Postby peterabbott33 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:49 pm

I've just done a cambelt last week on my 1.5dci, so different lump. My tdc mark on the crankshaft points to 12 o'clock when locked against the screw-in locking pin, as stated in the workshop manual. I rotated the crankshaft to 11 o'clock, fitted the crank pin and then rotate to 12 where it stops. Then slid the camshaft pin into the sprocket on the top, and carry on with removing the tensioner and belt. Hope this helps :-s

gareyt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2 1.5dci dynamique
with a non starter Renault Megane mk2 1.5 authentique for fixing

Re: use of TDC locking tool question

Postby gareyt » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:49 pm

Sounds to me that something is not right. What was the original position. I have a similar problem on a 1.5. I did the cambelt and it was perfect, my car ran quieter than ever but then I noticed the cam seal leaking some oil so took it all apart to fit a new cam seal. I did this in a rush and thinking that because e I had done the cambelt previously that I knew what I was doing but when I put it all back together it sounded awful. Ive done this 10 times now and it has never sounded right. It doesn't drive anymore and I suspect bent valves or worse so ive got to strip it all down but im no expert and have very little time.

Point of the story is this, if it doesn't seem right it probably isn't. If you haven't followed the book to the T, don't turn the engine on because you will make it worse. And if you cant remember the original position at TDC when everything was attached then its like going on a journey without a map. I seriously hope you get it sorted I ended up buying another megane. :oops:

Return to “Problems / Questions”