clunking from the rear

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

clunking from the rear

Postby eric » Sun May 10, 2015 2:03 pm

What's likely to be the cause of a clunking sound from the rear? Its a sort of clunky echoey hollow sound not all time, when driving over speed bumps, and when cornering right (not tight, but when say turning right at a large roundabout).

I thought either bushes or maybe exhaust knocking on something...

Not really much else at the rear to cause a noise is there?

I've already checked there's nothing rolling around in the boot :D

4737carlinsir

Re: clunking from the rear

Postby 4737carlinsir » Sun May 10, 2015 5:23 pm

Have a look for your rear exhaust mount. If the rubber has perished and its only hanging on by the safety thread then you'll get a knock like you describe.

gareyt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2 1.5dci dynamique
with a non starter Renault Megane mk2 1.5 authentique for fixing

Postby gareyt » Mon May 11, 2015 11:13 pm

As already mentioned have a look at the exhaust. It could be the heat shield that is attached to the body of the car above the exhaust. Easy fix. It would cause a clunking noise.

eric
Learner Driver

Postby eric » Tue May 12, 2015 7:41 pm

I'll be cleaning the car in and out this weekend if weather is good, so I'll have a look then ta :-)

eric
Learner Driver

Postby eric » Sun May 31, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi again, I've had a look underneath, nothing obvious I can see to be loose to make a noise. Its getting worst and making noise now corning left and right.

Its something happening when the car is cornering or leaning as I don't think it does it over speed bumps (when driving straight).

I've taken everything out of boot so its not that. Checked wheel nuts. The exhaust does move a bit (don't know how much it should) but doen'st bang against anything anyway. All heatshelds seem ok. Springs look ok.

Could it be the axel bushes and how hard to replace (would I need special tools). Do the dampers have bushing (couldn't really see), Its done over 130k mile and don't think anythings been replaced yet.

Any thoughts?

Return to “Problems / Questions”