Rear wash facility

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Kieran1602
Currently Drives:: 2003 Renault Megane hatch 1.9dCi Privilege

Rear wash facility

Postby Kieran1602 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:29 am

Hi all,

I just joined the group after buying a very early 2003 Megane 1.9dCi privilege. She's a lovely car with extraordinarily low mileage for the age (60k) which has VOSA receipts to verify. All the electrical gismos so far seem to work fine and if things do go wrong I expect it in a 12 year old car.

The one thing that irritates me most is the rear washer not working. Before I bought the car the front had stopped but the garage I bought it from managed to fix it and they work a charm. I am not the most technical person in the world so I wondered if there's any easy fixes that might lead to the rear washer fixing? I can't hear any pump making noise when I turn try to use them but I'm not even sure that I would hear anything as the car's so quiet.

Any help would be appreciated!

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Rear wash facility

Postby AlexB » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:46 am

Its the same pump serving both ends. The pump sits on the water reservoir and is easy to replace. I guess, you will end up searching eBay for a replacement part.

With low mileage and garage servicing expect incorrect engine oil and filter used, possible the belt not changed and brake fluid overdue. Get the correct fluids/filter, as in our Parts section, and supply them to the garage at the next servicing. DIY is also simple. These engines are robust, but quite sensitive to the oil quality. The timing belt is changed every 5 years - yours can be a year or two overdue, because a low mileage car can go a bit longer with the old belt. The trouble is that nobody knows how much longer... Make sense to check this.

What else? The pollen filter - its for the air you are breathing. They grow harmful black fungus and bacteria, and may cause the heater to pack up. Get the one with activated carbon, and stick it in - it is in the driver's foot well. Owners and garages often neglect to replace these.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Kieran1602

Postby Kieran1602 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:55 am

Thanks for the reply Alex.

The front washers are working fine after the garage did some jiggery pokery. Do they use a different fuse?

I intended to do an oil filter and oil change myself as well as cambelt anyway; something I've got used to doing with any used car I've owned.

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:17 am

My washers have always deluded me as well. Activating the fronts does work, activating the rear will wash the front and the rear at same time.

Anyone?

Kieran1602

Postby Kieran1602 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:54 am

I managed to sort it by cleaning the nozzle out.

Not sure what your problem is though eric :(

Thorn1979
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II Estate 1.9TDi

Postby Thorn1979 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:47 pm

Kieran

how the heck did you get to the nozzle to clear it?

My rear washer won't work either, front's fine, and I know there must be a blockage somewhere. Tried a pin to clean it but no good. So I wanted to remove the nozzle totally but I can't get to it, or to the rear of the high level brake light.

Kieran1602

Postby Kieran1602 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Ah we used a pin and that sorted it out for me. :(

gareyt
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault megane mk2 1.5dci dynamique
with a non starter Renault Megane mk2 1.5 authentique for fixing

Postby gareyt » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:58 pm

I have had this exact same problem. I checked the nozzle and the lines for kinks or other damage first. These seemed all fine so I bought a new washer pump and fitted it.

It works fine now. My advice is fit a new washer pump. Its actually quite easy even for a novice. Buy the Haynes manual £15, and washer pump £15. Sorted.

Return to “Problems / Questions”