Head Gasket/Coolant problem

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

TheFlyingPenguin
Currently Drives:: Land Rover Discovery TD5
Renault Megane 1.9DCI
Vauxhall Combo 1.3CDTI

Head Gasket/Coolant problem

Postby TheFlyingPenguin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Hi all,
First post on here so hopefully I will get some help.............
I have a 53 plate 1.9dci with 140k on the clock
Over the last few weeks we have been putting lots of water in the coolant reservoir, but it wasn't until we had the bonnet open and the engine running that we noticed that the water was being forced back out of the reservoir even with the cap on.
We haven't overfilled it, as if we turn the engine off there is no water left in the reservoir.
It has now failed the MOT on its emissions.
We have been told that the problem is a head gasket and the exhaust gases are escaping into the coolant system and pushing the water out.
The oil looks fine with no unusual deposits
There has been no loss of power although sometimes the car does run a bit rough in idle.
As you can imagine the car is only worth about £750 on the market so it isn't worth spending a lot on it.
I have a reasonable mechanical mind so is changing the head gasket something I could do?.................or is it worth using some K Seal or Steel Seal...which ones best.

Regards

bambam
Currently Drives:: megane 19 dti

Re: Head Gasket/Coolant problem

Postby bambam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:42 am

Before you go spending on it check the coolant filler cap isnt worn and then get it pressure tested.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:18 am

I have used k seal in the past with great effect , not loosing much in trying this first, but in the end you will need a new head gasket and possibly the head skimming also
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:16 am

freelanderuk wrote:I have used k seal in the past with great effect , not loosing much in trying this first, but in the end you will need a new head gasket and possibly the head skimming also

I used this in a 405 diesel with bad water pressure problems..

amazing stuff as I poored it in it sealed within seconds and ran fine for months and allowed me to trade it..

TheFlyingPenguin
Currently Drives:: Land Rover Discovery TD5
Renault Megane 1.9DCI
Vauxhall Combo 1.3CDTI

Postby TheFlyingPenguin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi,
Thanks for replies..................Bambam....it is a new filler cap, but it is meant to let water out at a certain pressure?
If it is an exhaust gases leak into the coolant system, then if I use Kseal would it work as surely the pressure of the exhaust gas would stop the kseal getting to where it needs to be?
One more thing..................would doing an oil change and air filter make the emissions result better?
I don't want to spend much on this really as it could be lost money, but even now it still drives pretty good, just cant because it hasn't got an MOT.

Regards

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:14 am

Its an age old question of spending money on something not worth much. Same with mine, not worth much but I've decided to keep for long as possible even if I may have to spend on it. My reason is I could change the car for something a bit newer yes, but in time it could end up with ten times the problems of the old car. Better the devil you know :devil :D

petepete
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: cc

Postby petepete » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:50 pm

TheFlyingPenguin wrote:Hi,
Thanks for replies..................Bambam....it is a new filler cap, but it is meant to let water out at a certain pressure?
If it is an exhaust gases leak into the coolant system, then if I use Kseal would it work as surely the pressure of the exhaust gas would stop the kseal getting to where it needs to be?
One more thing..................would doing an oil change and air filter make the emissions result better?
I don't want to spend much on this really as it could be lost money, but even now it still drives pretty good, just cant because it hasn't got an MOT.

Regards

its not exhaust gasses... the pressure comes directly from the cylinder that has a leak ...

what do you think garages use to flog their rubbish on !

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Postby taffyhl » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Had head gaskets go on a mini and Sierra, both petrol. There was a mayo like gunge on the oil cap for both. Cars were never quite the same after repair but it kept them going for a couple of years.

The question is what car could you buy for the money it will cost to change your head gasket and are there any other issues with your car. If you can do it yourself and the car is otherwise ok then I would say it's worth doing. If it's going to a garage or has other faults then the cost may be enough for a deposit on another car.

Return to “Problems / Questions”