Sump removal advice - 1.9dci (120) 2004

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Sump removal advice - 1.9dci (120) 2004

Postby taffyhl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:46 am

Hi,

I've decided it will be worth removing my sump to check for and remove sludge and wanted to know if this is something I should be able to do myself, and whether there are any particular issues to look out for?

I have car ramps and a pretty good set of tools and it doesn't look like any special tools are needed according to the manual.

Has anyone done this and have any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance,

H

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: Sump removal advice - 1.9dci (120) 2004

Postby tomalamix » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm

if you have the tools and the ramp it will not be dificult, but you must be aware that you should remove all the oil 1st (saying this just to make sure, i think you already know this :) ) and get a new sump gasket, most of times the gasket break and you have to put a new one.

besides this i think youre good to go

good luck

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: Sump removal advice - 1.9dci (120) 2004

Postby taffyhl » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:58 am

Reading the manual I need to remove both front wheels so ramps are out...but I do have hydraulic jack and axle stands so job is still on!

I'm a little confused/worried by one bit in the manual where it says.

There are two fitting procedures for preparing the cylinder block gasket face when refitting:
- the first fitting procedure is used if SILICONE ADHESIVE SEALANT has been used to seal the crankshaft closure panel.
- the second fitting is used if a seal is used for the crankshaft closure panel sealing.

Will this be obvious when I take the sump off? The Haynes manual makes no mention of different fitting procedures and the official manual shows the same picture for both scenarios which looks like a printing mistake and therefore doesn't make the difference clear.

Thanks,

Hywel

Return to “Problems / Questions”