Electric Power Steering + More

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

tomron
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.4 05

Electric Power Steering + More

Postby tomron » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 pm

Hi all,

I have recently acquired a 05 megane II from my dad around November 2014, the car had been sat around for many months. On first drive out did around 80 miles, parked up and when came back to the car the power steering had gone, with 'STOP' and Steering fault appearing. After being offered over £1.200 for a new steering column by a renault dealer i decided to do a bit of research, considering the car is probably not even worth that, and seems very odd for a electrical component to just go! So i took it to my local trusted garage and they sent off what I assume is called the power steering motor for refurbishment.. Nothing wrong with it on their account and put the bits back together and worked for just over a month, not a single problem. Last Saturday i drove around 120 miles and the power steering went again, then came back later in the day, for then it to break again even later that day, and staying not working. So i took it back to the garage and thankfully they did not charge me for doing what they did before, and seemingly enough the power steering worked for the drive home, the next day I started it up again to have the same problem, and again staying not working.

In my research i found that could be circuit board problems ie corrosion or maybe the steering unit is actually on they way out and they failed to notice?

The car has also very odd electrics with both of the rear windows working and both of the front windows not, auto lights and auto wipers don't work, but they do work using the manual switch?

Further to that the garage I took the car to before my trusted one seemed to have damaged a switch for the air bag on the drivers door side, subsequently causing a warning light on the dash?

Any help appreciated, im at my wits end! :hm

taffyhl
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: 2004 Megane II 1.9 dynaique

Re: Electric Power Steering + More

Postby taffyhl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:25 am

Can't really help with the loss of power steering but maybe with the airbag issue.

The wiring for the drivers airbag should have been disconnected when they were taking the column out, perhaps they have forgotten to reconnect. My airbag light (and service light) came on when I disconnected to sought out the failed steering lock.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Re: Electric Power Steering + More

Postby tomalamix » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm

Unfortunally the steering column is a part that fails a little bit more than usual (like other parts in this car...).

If it's becoming faulty maybe is time to search for another one. You can use a steering column from another car as long as you reprogram it to use it in your car. the only way to be sure is really change it for another one..

good luck

Return to “Problems / Questions”