[Solved] Renault Megane II stalling at low speeds

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Khaleal
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2

[Solved] Renault Megane II stalling at low speeds

Postby Khaleal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,

I have a Renault Megane II 1.6 (2005) that I've bought 1 month ago.
This car has only one issue.. when I drive at very low speeds the engine tends to stall and the engine management light start flashing.
Sometimes I can save the engine from stalling by pressing on the petrol pedal (and then the flashing light stops).. and sometimes it's too late (as pressing petrol pedal doesn't make any difference) and I have to turn the engine off and start it again.. when it starts it starts flawlessly.
When this happens this car usually vibrates before I shut it down and a "CHECK GEARBOX" messages comes on the screen (not always).. I also sometimes get the message "CHECK INJECTION".
Before I bought this car I sent it for diagnosing and the only thing they found with the engine is "moderate pressure loss in the cylinders" but I was told that this is not a serious issue..
I searched a bit about this issue and some people suggested that this is because of a TDC/coils/idle air control sensor failure.
My first troubleshooting try was a new set of quality BOSCH Platinum-Iridium spark-plugs.. The old ones were barely working as the mechanic said.. Well.. This doesn't solve the problem.. But I can feel a difference as the car runs smoother now..
I've managed to connect the car to a scanning tool (MS509 AUTEL) and I got the codes P0300 (Random cylinder miss fire) and P0301 (Misfire on cylinder #1).. So my next try will be a complete new coils set (total of 4).. I've already order them and will install them next week..
But in the meanwhile I'd like to hear what do you think is causing this issue?

- Khaleal
Last edited by Khaleal on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meganeccdarren
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane cc

Re: Renault Megane II stalling at junctions/traffic lights

Postby Meganeccdarren » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 pm

Has the car got any service history? What's the mileage?

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:34 pm

Meganeccdarren wrote:Has the car got any service history? What's the mileage?

I don't have the service history but when I bought the car I took it to a local garage for service and they changed the engine and gearbox oil and changed electric window mechanism and switch..
This car has 128,000km

fredcamp2
Learner Driver

Postby fredcamp2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:28 pm

If your megane idles ok whilst sitting stationary. But only plays up when slowing down at junctions/traffic lights then I would certainly be checking out the status of the brake switch. The very most likely cause of your problem.Hth Regards fredcamp2

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm

fredcamp2 wrote:If your megane idles ok whilst sitting stationary. But only plays up when slowing down at junctions/traffic lights then I would certainly be checking out the status of the brake switch. The very most likely cause of your problem.Hth Regards fredcamp2

Indeed.. I have an issue with the break-light (it doesn't light up when I press the break pedal) and will be replacing break-light switch next week..
But I can't think of a good reason why a break-light issue would cause the engine to stall.. Please note that the mechanical break functionality is working perfectly..

roganp
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Kia Carnival babybus, Megane 2hatch

Postby roganp » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:53 am

I've has a similar stalling problem on a BMW. Was the crank sensor. Car would run perfectly until I went to idle, and would then periodically stall. No idea if crank sensor is an issue on the Megane but worth googling

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:18 am

roganp wrote:I've has a similar stalling problem on a BMW. Was the crank sensor. Car would run perfectly until I went to idle, and would then periodically stall. No idea if crank sensor is an issue on the Megane but worth googling

I've done a Google search about the issue before and YES.. crankshaft sensors tend to fail in Renaults.. I've already ordered new crankshaft sensor + new break-light switch.. Those seem to be the cheapest repairs to be done first.. The parts are 10GPB + shipping combined from eBay.. I will update the thread when I install them..
In the meanwhile I'd like to hear if someone has got a new idea about the issue:)

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:45 pm

I've managed to connect it to a scanner tool in order to see live data..
I noticed that when my "Check Engine" light starts flashing the shrtft1 (oxygen sensor readings) drops to 0% and stays at 0% until the car completely stalls.. also the voltage going to this sensor is almost 0 when the check engine light starts flashing..
What could this mean?

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:08 am

Have you fixed and ruled out the brake switch yet? In most cars you can't accelerate and brake at same time, even though some will say about left foot braking and heal and toe, they can safely be ignored because they're bonkers :D

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:35 pm

eric wrote:Have you fixed and ruled out the brake switch yet? In most cars you can't accelerate and brake at same time, even though some will say about left foot braking and heal and toe, they can safely be ignored because they're bonkers :D

Yes. I've fixed it.. It turned to be the break-light switch needed refitting..
As an update. I've done the following until now:
1. Replaced spark-plugs.
2. Cleaned throttle body.
3. Replaced TDC sensor.
4. Replaced 4 coils..
I still have the exact same issue but it's now more frequent :(

bull
Currently Drives:: megane 2

Postby bull » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 pm

it may be you need to have your EGR valve cleaned then it has to be reset on a computer by a renault RTE engineer

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:07 pm

bull wrote:it may be you need to have your EGR valve cleaned then it has to be reset on a computer by a renault RTE engineer

It's a petrol car so it doesn't have an EGR valve :)

I connected it to one of these CLIPs and it showed only codes related to misfire.
When the problem begins and the light starts flashing the engine seems to be running only on two cylinders (2 and 3) while 1 and 4 aren't contributing to the engine power..
I've got a mechanic to perform a compression test on these cylinders (he did only the dry one) and both cylinders 1 and 4 had identical compression of 150.
I've also got 2 injectors replaced in cylinders 1 and 4 but with no success.. I also replaced the throttle body.. MAP sensor.. The issue still exists

I took the car to a local car electrician to perform a test on the wires and the general car electronic system (I had a fault with my back break/parking lights BTW).. He thinks there is nothing to do with the ECU as it seems to be functioning properly when this problem occurs and sending signals to coils/injectors to do their work..
He also THINKS that almost every element in the ignition/injection system has been checked/replaced.. And the only possibility left is a valve leaking compression. He also told me that those can't be checked using the simple compression test and the engine head needs to be removed and the valves to be checked..

I don't want to spend too much money on a car less than 2500$ value.. The engine head thing seems to be very expensive and I don't want to do it just because he THINKS it is causing the problem..

So I've done the following until now:
1. New BOSCH spark-plugs set.
2. New VALEO GREEN TOP coils set.
3. New TDC sensor.
4. Throttle body cleaning
5. 2 new injectors (on cylinders 1,4)
6. New throttle body.
7. New MAP sensor.

I'd appreciate any ideas on how fix the issue/check valves without the engine head being removed.

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Those codes keep coming after I clear them:
DF080 - CAMSHAFT DEPHASER CIRCUIT - Phaser control outside of limits.
DF065 - MISFIRE

Khaleal

Postby Khaleal » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:52 am

I tested (replaced) the camshaft sensor and camshaft dephaser solenoid valve from a junkyard and both were OK. But I was sure there is something wrong with the camshaft as it's the only thing that keeps coming after resetting the code.
I took the car to another mechanic (who is specialized in Renault cars) and has diagnosed it as a faulty camshaft dephaser pulley.
As he explained to me, this unit controls the valves in certain conditions depanding on the oil pressure.. He offered me to buy a new unit from Renault (which costs about 500$+VAT) or let him "fix" it.. As the unit is very over-priced I went on the second option.. He fixed it by making it stuck at open state as he claimed it wasn't able to fully open..
Now the car doesn't stall at all.. But the EML is constantly ON.. But I don't mind :) I will order a new unit from eBay soon (about 135$) and let him install it.. I'm OK for now with the "temporary" fix..
BTW, Is there any side effects of doing such thing to the camshaft dephaser pulley?

Return to “Problems / Questions”