1st gear on manual gearbox - potential issue?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

e36imagica
Currently Drives:: 2008 Renault Megane 2.0

1st gear on manual gearbox - potential issue?

Postby e36imagica » Sat May 03, 2014 1:42 am

HI folks,

Last week I purchased my very first Renault which also happens to be my first French car. It's fantastique! I purchased a 2008 Megane II with the 2.0 Petrol engine and 6 spd manual gearbox. The car has traveled 70,000 kms. The gearbox shifts perfectly in all gears; however, when the car is in 1st gear, you can feel the shifter moving around a bit and 'pulsating'. You can feel this more when you take-off from a stop and increase power, even gradually. It doesn't do this in any other gear. What I'm trying to determine is if this is a normal thing for these cars or do I have a potential mechanical fault? The gearbox is very smooth across the range and the shifter bushing are nice and firm. I searched the FAQ and other posts but can't seem to find anything that describes this problem as I've outlined in this post. I would really appreciate your feedback before I take it to the stealership or a transmission shop. Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Serge

Husky_Dog
Learner Driver

Re: 1st gear on manual gearbox - potential issue?

Postby Husky_Dog » Sat May 03, 2014 7:48 pm

Hello Serge,

Welcome to the world of French Cars... I've only ever owned Renault since I LOVE them - mind you I love the French and everything French!

It's really a great gear-box! I have a 1.9 Dci getting on for 150,000 miles / 241,400 KM.

I think you might be looking at a clutch issue to be honest. I sometimes have some clutch 'judder' from pick up in 1st gear when the engine is cold, but this soon goes once everything is up to normal operating temperature. My advise it give the clutch a good hard work out (possible clutch glazing)... Severe Backlash after 70,00 KMS is unlikely - Unless there is a gearbox oil issue?

Almost certain that you have no issue with the gearbox though...

Happy motoring -

Will
2005 Scenic 1.9Dci 120 Exception

Purdy
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane 2

Postby Purdy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:54 am

I also just purchased my first Renault. A 2007 2.0l with 6 speed. I also noticed this with first gear only. Can only really feel it with my hand resting on it. No other gears do the same. Must be normal.
Any idea of when we need to do oil change on the 6 speed manual box?

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 am

Please read my "sticky" post in Parts forum regarding oils. There is a new OEM gearbox oil with nanotechnology particles, which improves the feel and reduces wear.

No, the gear stick is not supposed to vibrate much in 1st. It might have something to do with either fuelling/ignition or engine mounts (top mount). In 1st the torque at the wheels is the greatest, which can rock the engine in its mounts. The same is in reverse. It is not difficult to replace the top mount; the part costs about £70 (depending on make).
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Purdy
Currently Drives:: 2007 Megane 2

Postby Purdy » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:00 pm

Thanks Alex,

My gearstick wobble is barely noticeable in first, have to have hand on it to feel any movement.
Good info on the new oil. Do you know the recommended oil change interval for the 6 speed box?

Thanks in advance

Return to “Problems / Questions”