Megane 2 Key Card Fault (PCF7947AT)

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

jamhops
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 100 1.5DCi

Megane 2 Key Card Fault (PCF7947AT)

Postby jamhops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Hi,

I have had a eventful day but made a couple mistakes I now need to fix,

My car unlocked but wouldn't start the engine as it would not see the key, I tried swapping the reader but no luck and as I needed to get the car going I cut open the key to see if anything was loose I soon saw the coil had come loose and pressing it to the board started the car BUT in my haste I damaged 2 pin on the above chip and i thought the whole chip as it has a minor crack in it.

So currently I can drive my car and use the emergency key to start the engine but need to know what the Philips micro chip does I suspect it holds the cars codes and by luck it's not destroyed? What do those 2 pins do (key portrait battery at the bottom the 2 pins on the bottom left of the micro chip) and I can resolder the inner one but will that be enough? Basically what do I do to get central locking back?

Thanks

Ben
Renault Megane II 54 Plater 1.5dCi 100

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Megane 2 Key Card Fault (PCF7947AT)

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:24 pm

If the chip is damaged, then it is time for a new card...
It's a transponder chip, the one that must be coded to the car.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

jamhops
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 100 1.5DCi

Re: Megane 2 Key Card Fault (PCF7947AT)

Postby jamhops » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:37 pm

AlexB wrote:If the chip is damaged, then it is time for a new card...
It's a transponder chip, the one that must be coded to the car.

I thought that might be the case but wouldn't that mean that I would be unable to start the car? I think that the chip itself still functions but the 2 pins are central locking ones, from what I can trace the 2 pins lead to nothing :/ and unlock the car, with that in mind I can see why Central locking doesn't work but starting car does. but it's not possible to swap the chip as then I will need to take it to Renault for programming which they won't do? Is there any reason why the current Pfc micro chip can't be cloned to a new one and then soldered on? (Though that may be beyond my expertise)

I plan on getting a new fully functioning key card and keeping this as my spare but wondered if I resolver the one pin that I can fix if this will fix anything :s

Again I think I know the answer but is there anyone who can sell cheap key cards?
Renault Megane II 54 Plater 1.5dCi 100

Return to “Problems / Questions”