Halfway through servicing

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Halfway through servicing

Postby john10001 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:23 pm

I got my engine oil changed today at last. I am just waiting for a spare bolt and washer for the transmission sump now so I can change that oil out as it has been leaking and probably only half full by now.

Unfortunately I got the ABS light lit up on my dash. Could be to do with water that came down by the wheel? Or just a fault with ABS sensor and particles getting onto it? I don't think regular braking affected so I may possibly be just without ABS for now and might have to get that looked at when I MOT unless it disappears.

I reset the Servicing counter and got rid of the "change oil" message on the trip computer but I still have the service light lit up. I'll check for fault codes but I guess if there are none this is something I'll have to get rid of with my code reader anyway?

john10001
Pass Plus

Re: Halfway through servicing

Postby john10001 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:56 pm

I've just been back out to the garage with my code reader. It came up with the is it 470? I think that means catalyst which is a usual one that doesn't mean anything in particular and a known false reading issue on the Megane.

While I was clearing the codes though the message came up that said "Steering fault".

The last time this message came up I was driving back from London on the M1 and started bricking it! Pulled off at next junction just as it stopped working.

The "Steering fault" error message was nothing to do with a steering fault whatsoever but was indicating a misfire in one of the cylinders and a failed ignition coil.

I'm not hearing anything resembling a misfire at the moment though maybe it is just developing? Either way looks like I may need to replace some coils. :(

ikhan
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.5 DCi (106)

Postby ikhan » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:27 pm

Is the fault code DF470 or P0470?

Also, not sure about the rest, but for the ABS, its possible that the sensor has been pulled out from the hub - if it has, it will just plug back in and the light will go out as soon as you drive off....
Renault Megane 1.5dCi (106)
Lowered 45mm (Spax)
RenaultSport R26 Front & Rear Bumpers, Spoilers, Door Bullets, & Exhaust
6000k HIDs (H7 & H11), LED Side, No Plate, & Interior Lights
18" Inovit Tarmac Alloys (matt black)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:23 pm

ikhan wrote:Is the fault code DF470 or P0470?

Also, not sure about the rest, but for the ABS, its possible that the sensor has been pulled out from the hub - if it has, it will just plug back in and the light will go out as soon as you drive off....

Yep it is the P0470. I have had it previously but have heard it is a common error when there is nothing wrong. To do with the Catalyst.

However... I have got a message on the dash that says "Steering fault". Last time I had this error message it had nothing to do with the steering but was a misfire in one of the cylinders.

ABS.. I will have to check for this or get the garage to do it is probably the better option when it goes for the MOT. I don't fancy taking off the wheels and messing around behind them. Not sure this is something I would be able to see without removing the wheels?

I understand the ABS has some kind of sensor that is magnetic and can attract metal particles that can cause malfunction with readings until cleaned? Either way not a biggie b/c I believe regular braking still works even if ABS disables itself.

It is just at the moment of draining out the Transmission Oil. It had been leaking as the garage to repair gearbox didn't put new washer on and the plug is rusted too. Idiots.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Return to “Problems / Questions”