Transmission Oil

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Transmission Oil

Postby john10001 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:01 pm

I have noticed a leak of transmission oil from the bottom of the sump under my car. It appears when they replaced my gearbox six months ago they didn't put a new washer back on as there doesn't appear to be one there at all now.

Someone remind me how much oil do I need for the gearbox again? Is it around 3 litres?

I also had a small amount of water come down on one of the wheels when I was jacking the car up to change the engine oil. I am hoping this is not brake fluid and is just water finding its way out my leaky Megane from elsewhere (which is quite possible) but it did seem strange it came down by the wheel.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Transmission Oil

Postby AlexB » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

This is specific to the car, about 2 litres, see the manual for your particular box. The trouble is that Renault boxes ask for the thinnest oil within the grade, The best in my experience is Motul 300v 75w90 Ester, not LS. It makes a difference in 1.9dci box, trust me. I used 2 litres.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Thanks. Do you know if the manual gearboxes in the Megane use Brass or Molybdenum synchros? I don't want to put the wrong type of oil in. The Renault Manual says TRJ 75W-80 but that is no longer produced and I suspect the replacement from Renault will be quite expensive and lower quality than I can find elsewhere e.g. like the Motul stuff.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 pm

No idea about the materials, but I know than almost all decent and modern GL4+ oils are safe to use. Elf oils for these boxes are not bad actually in the sense of their quality. They, however, seem to be a bit too thin, being on the thinnest side of 75w80 range. The Motul stuff mentioned above is also thin when cold, but thicker than Elf under high temperatures. It is also bullet proof, improves gear shift, satisfies all necessary standards, and is good with all metals used in the synchros. The thermal range (Viscosity Index) of this Motul oil is huge (222 vs usual 150-180), which helps in winter... I switched to it many years ago and never regretted this move.

IMPORTANT: many 75w80 or 75w90 oils are too thick for these boxes, check and compare their cold viscosity first!
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 am

I drained out all the remaining gear oil last night.

Now the difficult part. How the sodding hell do I get it back in again? It is almost impossible to as the bottle wont fit up into the gap to do it. I wish I had of known as I would have brought my pump with me but I'm not sure if that will do the job. I can't remember exactly what the pump ends look like. The only other alternative would be to make some sort of small half plastic type tube that leads into the opening and slowly try and pour onto it so it flows into the chamber.

The only other thing I can think of is to try find an old aquarium fluval or eheim type pump that allows an atachement on the output for silicone tubing and use that to suck it up and in from what type of container below though is another matter. I think I may just not bother and go home tomorrow night and come back with my pump and see if that works.

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:57 am

I just remembered. I am sure i have one of those plastic oil fillers funnels that are quite long. I will have to try and find it but it will be difficult to thread it through because there isn't much room for anything under my good. Huge battery and other pipes and stuff.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:35 am

I use a long, about 1m, reasonably thick PVC tube to feed the oil from above the engine under the bonnet.

It's a kind of clear tubing sold at B&Q. I think it was about 12mm external diameter.

On Motul bottles there is a nozzle. Cut off the tip, then the tube goes tight trough it. The further job is simple: keep squeezing the bottle while standing comfortably, and dive occasionally under the car to check whether the box is full or not.

You will end up using about 100ml less than stated for the box.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:47 am

Thanks Alex. I got it done now. I found my old black funnel thing and cleaned it up before doing it.

Unfortunately the tube on mine is quite short only about a foot or so but managed to get it done with a bit of difficulty. Had to bend it out of shape to get it past the underside of the battery so I could fill from above. I got about 2.9 litres in there.

Return to “Problems / Questions”