Box end needed for oil change?

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

john10001
Pass Plus

Box end needed for oil change?

Postby john10001 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:46 pm

Does anyone know what size box end I need for my oil change to get the drain plug out? It looks like it is about half an inch to me maybe slightly less? I do have one somewhere but can't find it so will have to go out and get a new one for my wrench. Cheers!

grahamlieb
Currently Drives:: renault megane 1.5 dci 80

Re: Box end needed for oil change?

Postby grahamlieb » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:08 pm

Changed my oil and filter just yesterday , used an 8mm drain plug key to attach to my wrench
Bought from amazon for something like 3 quid ...

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:06 pm

grahamlieb wrote:Changed my oil and filter just yesterday , used an 8mm drain plug key to attach to my wrench
Bought from amazon for something like 3 quid ...

Thanks! I got some from Halfords today because I couldn't be bothered waiting for Amazon to deliver & Eurocarparts didn't have in stock. Bad mistake. The Halfords ones are poor and the t bar doesn't have enough length to give enough torque to get the plug off and they are double ended ones so they swivel around on the bar, so I am taking that back for a refund on Monday. Looks like I have to buy online now and just wait to get one that will work and do the job.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:54 am

Get a proper socket and a breaker bar.

These plugs, BTW, are not supposed to be overly tight, as the washers include a rubber seal.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”