2 x headlamp bulbs replaced in 15 minutes

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

lambe48
Currently Drives:: 2006 1.5 dci

2 x headlamp bulbs replaced in 15 minutes

Postby lambe48 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:46 pm

lads, had a problem this week when both headlamp bulbs went down within 24 hours, well found a garage close to where I work, popped in on way home to ask how much, he relaced both bulbs in 15 minutes without taking any of the wheels off, he supplied the bulbs also and charged me £12. what a bargain. :D

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: 2 x headlamp bulbs replaced in 15 minutes

Postby freelanderuk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:27 am

seams as though you got a result there :-)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

peterabbott33
Currently Drives:: 2005 '55 Renault Megane II 1.5DCi 5dr Hatchback Remapped

Postby peterabbott33 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:36 pm

Not bad at all :) I changed my front sidelight bulbs this week, both done in 25 minutes without taking the wheels off, and it was my first attempt at changing any front bulb on my Megane ;) I have got small and slightly girly hands though lol

VroomVroomClonk
Just Passed
Currently Drives:: Megane 1.9 DCi CC 2004

Postby VroomVroomClonk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Yes, I've replaced headlamp and parking lamp bulbs on mine and it really isn't as difficult as some people make it out to be.
Turn the steering wheel to full lock towards the side that you are going to change, i.e. full left lock when changing the left bulbs, and there is plenty of room to reach behind the wheel and through the access panel to the bulbs. My hands are certainly not small, so if I can do it anyone can.

eric
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane lldci

Postby eric » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:37 am

I am trying this also this weekend. My sidelight at the front aren't working. Rear lights are, so can't be the fuse's.

Apart from the both bulbs failing at the same time, does anyone know another reason they aren't working? Any connectors or anything I could check first? ta

john10001
Pass Plus

Postby john10001 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:53 pm

My last bulb replacement took me an hour in Sainsburys car park. I got the more expensive bulbs so hopefully they will last longer but am considering finding some LED ones for the next time I replace if they make any suitable as I don't think they will be as likely to blow. I have my auto lights turned off as this is something I found kills bulbs a lot quicker. 15 minutes is pretty fast. He must have been a contortionist!

peterabbott33

Postby peterabbott33 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 pm

I've just fitted LED sidelights as the light output is not measured during an MoT so anything within reason will pass, but with dipped & main beam that's another matter. You CAN buy LED headlight bulbs but I think they are for show use only, I don't think the light output & beam pattern would be correct for UK roads. Best thing you can do is buy bulbs of reputable brand that are well known for durability. I've heard good things about OSRAM Night breakers, I'm going to buy some when one of my bulbs fail. They are both whiter and brighter than standard bulbs, and are aparrently very well made with better quality filaments that last longer

eric
Learner Driver

Postby eric » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:03 am

Another point is that the manual says use low uv bulbs otherwise your lenses may MELT! Renault have used plastic instead of glass :shock:

eric
Learner Driver

Postby eric » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:34 am

Well... I did manage to change the sidelight bulbs, but do you think I could do it through those poxy access covers under the wheel arch? No.

I did it from the top, still a very tight fit though and couldn't get the battery side one rubber cover back on properly. The left side one was the easiest, after unclipping the washer fluid pipe you get some access.

Don't know if this way is any good for changing the bigger bulbs though :?

peterabbott33

Postby peterabbott33 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:33 pm

That's what I did mate, came in at them from the top. I think the sidelight bulbs are actually a bit harder because they're so fiddly to get a hold on

aldo
Currently Drives:: Megane GT DCI 150

Postby aldo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:10 pm

How difficult is it to access the indicator bulbs?

I have the double flash thing going on with the nearside inndicator. Just want to remove the bulbs and clean up the connections.

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:53 pm

Stick your arm up through the access panel in the wheel arch (with steering on full lock) and feel for the back of the bulb holder. It's shaped like the stopper on a hot water bottle. To get it out turn 1/4 turn anti clockwise and pull backwards. Once out give it a clean and replace the bulb before putting back. There is not much room to manoeuvre but it's not difficult. When I did mine I cut about 1cm off the end of the bit you grip so that it clears the obstructions easier when refitting.
:)
Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

aldo
Currently Drives:: Megane GT DCI 150

Postby aldo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:09 am

morganjake1544 wrote:Stick your arm up through the access panel in the wheel arch (with steering on full lock) and feel for the back of the bulb holder. It's shaped like the stopper on a hot water bottle. To get it out turn 1/4 turn anti clockwise and pull backwards. Once out give it a clean and replace the bulb before putting back. There is not much room to manoeuvre but it's not difficult. When I did mine I cut about 1cm off the end of the bit you grip so that it clears the obstructions easier when refitting.

Thanks

I see what you mean by obstructions! Whilst I was able to turn and get the bulb holder out, I wasn't able to get the damn thing out at all!
Must be a certain knack to doing it which I could figure out... :banghead

morganjake1544
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: Clio 1.5dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom 3 door in Oyster Grey Metallic

Postby morganjake1544 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:14 am

I think it just needed jiggling a bit when I did mine. It's one of those things that once you've done it once it's then easy next time.

Clio 1.5 dCi 88 Dynamique Tom Tom in Oyster Grey + Twingo GT in Pearl Black on a '58'.

eric
Learner Driver

Postby eric » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:17 pm

Changed drivers side headlight today, didn't take as long as thought it would, I did the same as last time when changing sidelight bulb, from the top. If you move the screen washer filler out of the way, you get some access. Still has to be done by feel though as can't see anything.

Also changed diesel fuel filter which was a right pain but did it :D

Return to “Problems / Questions”