Heater blower not working on any setting.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Danlowe14
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane 2.0 VVT Dynamique Coupe Cabriolet

Heater blower not working on any setting.

Postby Danlowe14 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 am

Hi Guys,

This is my first post so bare with me. I've read a number of posts with similar issues but my symptoms are slightly different. The blower motor stopped working on all settings a few weeks back but the next time I started the car up it worked so I Thought no more of it, But now it's stopped working again. I've removed the motor and resistor pack, cleaned the contacts on both components and tried again but still nothing. I've tested the voltage at the outgoing terminals of the resistor pack and it's 10.91v on setting 4. This voltage then reduces when changing the setting as you would expect. I've been to the scrapyard and picked up a second hand motor for £60 and tried that but still nothing. Both feel about the same when turning by hand and both have a resistance of around 4ohms if I remember rightly. Can anyone help? Surely it can't be two faulty motors?

Thanks,

Dan.

smitheee
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane II (56) 1.9 DCI (130) Privilege

Re: Heater blower not working on any setting.

Postby smitheee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi

I have a 56 plate 1.9 dci privilege with auto climate control.

My heater blower also stopped working a few weeks ago and I'm completely fed up being cold. Here's the problem:

1. No blower fan. I have heat and everything else seems to work except the blower fan.
2. However, at the beginning (about a month ago) the blower would intermittently work. In some cases it would work for a few days as normal then stop working completely.
3. Occasionally, if I went over a pot-hole or drain etc it would come back on almost as if there is a loose connection or something.
4. The weeks have passed and it went off about three weeks ago and has stayed off. (I'm freezing!)
5. BUT - last few days it has come back again, only for a very short few minutes before going off and staying off.

After searching around on-line the general consensus is that it will be the resistor pack that's at fault. I purchased a new pack but it has made no difference.I have tried to wiggle various wires with the blower on to see if its something obvious but nothing.

Please can someone help me! I'm clueless to be honest.

Many thanks.

weldore
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: megane estate 1.9 dci

Postby weldore » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:23 pm

I have a 1.9 dci and recently bought a 1.5 dci and both cars the heater only works on 1,2 and 3 only .
i would have thought 4 would be straight through with no resistor , could be the switch though ..but odd

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:09 am

Take the glove box out and have a good check of the wiring , I have the same problem with it cutting out and then restarting , I have it of to a fine art now if it cuts out now, I can just reach up under the glovebox and give the wires a jiggle and it starts :-)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Danlowe14

Postby Danlowe14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:13 pm

So does anyone have any thoughts on my issue? Would appreciate any help. As you can imagine it's quite difficult to drive a leaky megane cabriolet to work with the weather we have been having with no heater to de-mist the windscreen./ deal with the condensation. :cry:

Thanks.

Dan.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Postby Stranger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Danlowe14 wrote:So does anyone have any thoughts on my issue? Would appreciate any help. As you can imagine it's quite difficult to drive a leaky megane cabriolet to work with the weather we have been having with no heater to de-mist the windscreen./ deal with the condensation. :cry:

Thanks.

Dan.

Have you seen Freelander's post above yours and tried that?
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

Danlowe14

Postby Danlowe14 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Yeh I tried all that. I connected the motor directly to the battery after work today and it spun like hell! So I'm assuming that's fine. I connected the resistor pack back up afterwards and tested the voltage on the outgoing terminals again. Still around 12v. When I connected the motor up, nothing happened but I tested the voltage again and it was zero. So I'm assuming the resistor pack is breaking down under load? Or could the fault lie elsewhere? I'm reluctant to fork out more cash till I know for definite as I've already wasted £60 on a motor I didn't need!

Thanks,

Dan.

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Postby freelanderuk » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:27 pm

The motor is ok if it runs, the resistor govens the speed and if speeds 1 to 3 don't work and 4 does then the resistor is at fault, check the wiring and the plug that that connects to the motor and the resistor
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

livewire
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Megane mk1 (99)
mk2 (04)
Citroen xsara (02)

Postby livewire » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 pm

see this post for the most common fault and a cheap permanent repair.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19540&p=117710#p117710

fergy05
Currently Drives:: megane II 1.5 dci

Postby fergy05 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:11 pm

hi dan, check my latest post for possible fix!

space1999
Currently Drives:: magne 2005

Postby space1999 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 pm

heater blower not working comes on only now and again

Alhozine
Currently Drives:: Megane 2 , 54 reg . 1.9 dci Privilege Climate Control

Postby Alhozine » Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 am

My Climate Control system has gone dead quiet altogether now for nearly 3 months , and I cannot figure out where the fault lies at all !A Dealer want to charge me £ 175 just to have a look at it ! My vehicle is 16 years old with a 160 k on the clock .
I am completely lost and frustrated , and I think Renault have made a hash of this system which is NOT user friendly at all !!
It's crazy and driving me crazy too !
I dismantled glove box and extended my hand deep inside to reach the screws of the POWER module , remove it and guess what when I touched it to the brake pedal link it acted as an earthing point and the motor started whirring continuous fast !!
So power is there , SO IT'S NOT A FUSE problem is it ? and now what ? Where does one go from here ? The whole display on dash is OFF , no reading at all , so where has the power gone here ? Am I just turning around like a fool ?

Anyone can help ? Greatly appreciated !

Return to “Problems / Questions”