Engine Won't Turn Over

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Liggy
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Black 2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege

Engine Won't Turn Over

Postby Liggy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 pm

Hi. I'm just looking to see if anyone can help me with an issue I've had with my car in the past week.

The other half and I were in Letterkenny in Co. Donegal at the weekend. We live south of Belfast, so that's about a 2 hour drive away. The car had been working fine previous to this. No issues with starting, ran for a 2 hour drive. We parked the car, stayed over night, went to start the car the next day and it wasn't for happening.

Tried a few times. The engine was trying to start, but just wouldn't turn over. There were a few times it was trying to start, but it just didn't happen. Called a couple of local mechanics out who had a look at it in the hotel car park. Despite a bump and jump start, they couldn't get any joy out of it either. They took it into their garage over New Year's Day and phoned me this morning to tell me they haven't a clue. Lol!

I'm now having to arrange to get the car home from 2 hours drive away. I don't understand. The battery's working fine, there's fuel in the tank and going through the tubes......I'm completely baffled. Does anyone have any ideas?
2004 Renault Megane CC Privilege 1.9DCI.

Stranger
Site Admin
Currently Drives:: BMW X1

Re: Engine Won't Turn Over

Postby Stranger » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 am

Liggy, I've moved your post in to the problems forum, it'll get more views there and you should get some help quicker.
STOP DEVELOPMENT ON GREEN FIELD SITES! http://www.cpre.org.uk/

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:35 pm

Liggy,

There no need to feel perplexed. Your car is a diesel, hence it only needs air plus fuel injected at the right time to start. So, check the airways, then look at the rail pressure, then check the TDC and camshaft sensors.

When you mentioned fuel in the tubes, did you mean fuel without any bubbles in the clear pipe to the high pressure pump? Have a look at it just in case.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

mickeybo
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault scenic 1.5 dci 05 model

Postby mickeybo » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:44 pm

The problems with these non starting Renaults are much more in depth than stated When I encounter a problem with these the first check I do is on the fuel pressure regulator (common fault) disconnect the 2 pin plug at ignition on should have a 12v feed at ignition off check ohms reading across it's 2 pins should read approx. 5.3 ohms the other wire on this plug yellow wire goes to a switched earth at ecu pin no bm4 When these valves lose their switched earth or go faulty hense no rail pressure Another fault on these is the main engine control relay losing it's ecu earthing Then you have to check the fuel rail pressure sensor. We are in derry a stone throw from letterkenny we can check this vehicle out for you if required Regards mickeybo

Liggy
Learner Driver

Postby Liggy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Hey mickeybo. I have the car back in Lisburn now. Garage wasn't able to fix it at all. This might be a stupid question, but does anyone know if it might be a problem with the keycard? I need to send it away for a repair. I'm getting the Card Not Detected crap.

To be honest, guys, I'm thinking I'm going to be selling the car on as a non-runner and getting something else. It'll break my wee heart, but the feckin' thing's costing me too much money and I can't afford to hold out to hundreds of pounds of car repairs every couple of months.

tomalamix
F1 Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane II 1.5dCI 100HP

Postby tomalamix » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:10 am

keycard not detected will not let you fire up the car..

there are some fellows that repair it for a lot less than the main dealer. i think you should give it a try.

cheers

Liggy
Learner Driver

Postby Liggy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:10 am

Tomalamix, if the card is faulty, will the engine even try to start, or will it do nothing?

I'm at the point now where I can't lock the car, so all valuables have had to be removed from the interior. Obviously I need to get the card sorted out, but I'm wondering if this is anything to do with it not starting? The engine is trying to start, but just not springing to life.

Liggy
Learner Driver

Postby Liggy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Actually, here's another thing I'm only just remembering. My car has the airbag light on. I've got it fixed about 57547 times & I just can't be bothered with it anymore, but I noticed that on a few occassions when I tried to start the car, the Airbag disabled light on the dash became illuminated, even though I hadn't switched the airbags off.

Could that shed any light at all?

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm

Card Not Detected means that the steering will remain locked and the starter will not operate.

Now it looks like an electrical fault affecting many subsystems. What unites them are the power supply and network. Start with the power supply...
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

mickeybo
Passed Theory
Currently Drives:: Renault scenic 1.5 dci 05 model

Postby mickeybo » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:20 am

I would have thought the reader card check would have been the first port of call

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:49 pm

The OP wrote that it was turning over on a few occasions, but still didn't start... It's difficult to understand as the description is vague.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”