ESP fault warning light.

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Funkycoldmadina
Currently Drives:: Renault Megane Sport 225 Cup

ESP fault warning light.

Postby Funkycoldmadina » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:01 am

Hi, All

It's been a while, but recently i have developed a fault which is 'check ESP'. There is slight vibration from the wheels and i need to stop the car and restart to clear this.

There is no change in performance and the brakes still operate as should.

Have anybody got any ideas.

Many Thanks.

Funky.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: ESP fault warning light.

Postby AlexB » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:01 am

Dear Funky,

You need to be careful with the use of pronouns, as they may make your writing ambiguous. Could you please rephrase your second sentence?

Kindest regards,
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Funkycoldmadina

Postby Funkycoldmadina » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:19 am

O.k. Alex b. What I was trying to explain in my second sentence, is when the fault occurs vibration is felt in the wheels as if the Esp is constantly kicking. This is confirmed by disengaging the esp button which stops the vibration but check esp is still displayed. The model is a 2006 sport cup. Thanks for the advice I'll take it in board.

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Postby AlexB » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:19 pm

Hello again and thanks for the clarification. So, its the electronic fault, which causes vibration, and not the other way round. I remember there was a vaguely similar report years ago, but can't remember the outcome. It is not a very popular fault, but many experienced faults with ABS sensors, wires and non-standard replacement ABS rings on replacement rear discs. Did you replace the rear discs recently?

Somewhere in the documentation for this car they recommend to avoid contaminating the ABS rings with metal shavings when doing jobs. Is there a chance that the rings have been contaminated?

Then, I would be tempted to disconnect the wheel sensors one at a time and see what happens. I am not sure about whether this will disable the ESP or cause it to misbehave. Worth checking anyway....

The steering. The ESP system needs to know the position of the steering wheel. If the battery was disconnected at any time, the steering column may have lost its calibration. Make sure to the initialisation procedure of the steering column was followed. Just in case, cycle the power and initialise it again. It is described in the manual in the sticky thread, this is the link to the document
https://ray-lee.co.uk/megane/dialogys/MR366MEGANE8.pdf

Finally the rear ABS sensors are known to rust away occasionally, which is another hypothesis to check.

If the above does not help, then it can be the ESP module itself or its connection. I have no experience with these.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Funkycoldmadina

Postby Funkycoldmadina » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks for your help AlexB,

Have'nt found the problem yet, but when i do i'll let you know.

Funky.

Return to “Problems / Questions”