Major Brake Issue

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

Sadret89
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE 1.5dci 80, INDUCTION KIT, 8K XENON HEADLIGHTS, 225 SPORT FULL BODY-KIT & EXHAUST SYSTEM, SOUND SYSTEM, TDI TUNING BOX, EDC BLACK STUFF FRONT BRAKE PADS

Major Brake Issue

Postby Sadret89 » Sat May 11, 2013 11:56 pm

All started a month ago when I was driving back from the car wash and the car swung harshly to the right when braking.

It seemed as if the left front caliper wasn't working and so I changed it, followed by the driver side caliper, brake master cylinder, abs pump, brake lines as well.

But still is pulling and seems as if the driver side brakes quicker than the passenger side.
Funny thing is after braking hard a few times the STOP and red (!) light come on and everything is ok until I turn the engine off.

Anyone got any ideas as its left me and my mechanics scratching our heads.
Check out the progress viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13676

AlexB
Driving Legend
Currently Drives:: Renaultsport R.S.250 Cup

Re: Major Brake Issue

Postby AlexB » Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 am

Red Stop - by any chance it is not the low brake fluid light, is it? It usually starts coming up when one presses the pedal and/or in a bend.

Did you replace the brake hoses?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Sadret89
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: RENAULT MEGANE 1.5dci 80, INDUCTION KIT, 8K XENON HEADLIGHTS, 225 SPORT FULL BODY-KIT & EXHAUST SYSTEM, SOUND SYSTEM, TDI TUNING BOX, EDC BLACK STUFF FRONT BRAKE PADS

Postby Sadret89 » Mon May 13, 2013 12:29 am

I've been topping the brake fluid regularly recently, I did change both front brake hoses.

The stop light is the one at the bottom of the speedo on the other side of the service light.

Will try to get a image tomorrow.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Mon May 13, 2013 8:08 am

Why were you topping it up? It is not required normally. The level drop due to normal pads/discs wear does not trigger the alarm. This can be the answer to your question...

Check the manual in the sticky thread regarding the lights. The low brake fluid, I think, also causes a beep and a brakes light (a small icon on the dials).

If it is something else, and it is not obvious, then you will need a computer to read the fault codes.
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Sadret89
Advanced Driver

Postby Sadret89 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:11 pm

They were topping it up because all four were being bleed.

I am putting it onto the computer this week hoping for the best.

AlexB
Driving Legend

Postby AlexB » Tue May 14, 2013 8:19 am

I just hope you are not driving a car with such a fault...

Look, I don't understand the "big" picture. You've replaced so many parts, which are expensive and require much effort and time. Despite such a massive effort the problem is not diagnosed yet. It is pretty strange given the simplicity of the system...

BTW, have you considered a possibility that there may be something wrong with suspension, steering or structural components? Are there any abnormal sounds when driving? The other thing, are all bolts on the calipers/brackets good, torqued to the correct value and have the threadlock applied where specified? Are all parts free of rust?
AlexB
(no, a different AlexB)

Return to “Problems / Questions”