Steering locked / Steering not locked DCI 1.5

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

PaulDNel
Currently Drives:: Megane Dci 1.5

Steering locked / Steering not locked DCI 1.5

Postby PaulDNel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 pm

Hey guys and galls,

This is driving me absolutely irrevocably insane!

Background : Gave the car a wash, drove to office fine. Wanting to leave that afternoon, dashboard dead.

Checked all fuses and found that one of those big fuses in the positive battery terminal not responding to continuity tester. Got myself a new one from local dealer, installed and power to dash restored! Yay, not so ....

When inserting keycard, depressing pedal and pushing start, car would say STEERING LOCKED. Remove card then it says STEERING NOT LOCKED. I should note that I can hear a click sound from around the cubby when pushing the button.

i have done extensive research and have tried the following :

Removed ECU and checked all fuses (even those huge ones under the ECU)
Checked and treated all connectors at ECU for corrosion
Put card in, no depressing of pedals and holding start for 10 seconds (after about 7 seconds STEERING LOCKED)
Put card in, no depressing of pedals and rapid repeated pressing of start (Just flashes press brake or clutch as fast as I can push.
Again checked fuses with extra attention to 8 and 11 (as per another post)
Tried jiggling the steering wheel while trying to start
Let the car dry for a couple of days
Checked connectors under seat related to airbags, out of desperation.

Eventually removed covers around steering column and found what I believe to be the Steering Lock Mechanism. It sits on the steering column and has a torx head bolt (I think its the shear bolt ive been warned against). Its a little squarish silver metal box with an electrical connector going in. This unit seems to be rather loose fitting as well. I tried starting the car while wiggling this box a little, no luck.

I traced the clicking when you press start to what seems to be the start button relay, its in the fuse box, by the cubby, just above the fuses. This unit was surprisingly WARM to the touch but seemed otherwise ok.

The electrical connector to the Steering Lock has 6 wires on it. So i am thinking perhaps power is not getting the the Steering Lock. Unfortunately I have no idea which of these wire to test how, to figure out if the power is coming when we push start or not. Can someone explain how this unit works, from the relay to the steering lock? Is there a dubious fuse Ive missed somewhere? Is it possible to put 12v on any of these connectors to activate the solonoid and unlock the wheel or is it smarter than that.

Ive read somewhere that the steering lock can be neutered but must never be removed while the wheel is locked, so I wont try any of that at this point. (Shear bolt and all)

Please any and all help welcome, the cars stuck st the office fora few days now and I barely have money to tow it never mind the dealership :eek

scott9951
Learner Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane dci 1.9

Re: Steering locked / Steering not locked DCI 1.5

Postby scott9951 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello did you ever get this sorted if so how?

Ive got pretty much exact same problem

Return to “Problems / Questions”