MECHANIC SAID sell megane ASAP there crap!!!!

Problem with your Megane? Can't find an answer? Workshop manuals and technical notes are in here.

Moderators: q292u, Ray, AndyAdmin, Stranger

dazbex
Currently Drives:: megane 1.5 dci maxim 5door, silver

MECHANIC SAID sell megane ASAP there crap!!!!

Postby dazbex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Hi all had my megane 3-4 weeks now,

in this time its been in a garage geeting fixed for a week!! :cry

i thought my clutch and DMFW had gone, well i dont know if it has or not yet to be honest, i couldnt get any gears so i thought it was dmfw and clutch,

anyway, it turns out at the moment to be a failed clutch master cylinder and i burst pipe, clutch m/cylinder £65 and the pipe is £45 from renault,

the mechanic said when he gets it all fixed, he can go from there and see if the clutch and dmfw is ok,

i said to him is it common problem with meganes, his reply was............MATE, SELL THE MEGANE THERE ABSOLUTE RUBBISH, DONT TOUCH ANYTHING FRENCH, HONESTLY, GO FOR A VW OR AUDI, OR SOMETHING JAPANEESE !!!

I bought this car for my Mrs to carry our kids round in, with its good safety rating and excellent MPG!! are these cars really that bad?? do they always go wrong?? i am by no means wealthy so i need some thing reliable for my family... as i cant afford to keep taking it to the garage,

Why is the mechanic so convinced that these cars are nothing but trouble???

oh my the way its a silver megane dci 1.5 86bhp maxim model 5 door 2006.

My wife really likes the car, looks, comfort, space, the way it drives and spesh the MPG, we just sold our vectra sri 2.2 2006, that thing was sooooo heavy on fuel (petrol)

so could any of you guys out there give me any info about the megane, common problems or things to look out for??

thanks very much in advance... darren

freelanderuk
Rally Driver
Currently Drives:: Megane convertible 1.9dci 2006

Re: MECHANIC SAID sell megane ASAP there crap!!!!

Postby freelanderuk » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:35 pm

when i bought my landrover freelander in 2006 i was told to get shut they were crap , kept it 5 years with no real problems i changed it for a 2.2 vectra and was told the same , apart from been heavy on petrol and the blower motor going i had no other problems, kept for 2 years and now just got a 2006 1.9dci cc megane , have cleaned the scuttle panel drains and had a new wiper motor in it i think its a very good car , but only time will tell :)
Drive it like you stole it

My flickr

Bumpy macaroon
Advanced Driver
Currently Drives:: a megane.................doh

Postby Bumpy macaroon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Got two meganes, one over 7 years old and other 5 years, both doing great have little niggles like weak pencil coils on wifes petrol meg, but since changing them years back have had no problem since, mine a 57 plate 1.5 dci had leaking fuel return pipes which renault sorted free of charge as it was a known problem and changed alternator at same time in case it had been contaminated with fuel, since that was done two years back have had no problems.

main gripe for me is having to change headlight bulbs through holes in the wheel arch but hey its french so its bound to have a few dramas
Bumpy and full of coconuts.
05 1.4 Otto blue Rush Mods: Keyed by some B*%"£~!, interior LEDs
57 106 dci Silver Dynamique Mods: Daughters first baby adidas trainers, Interior LEDs, self made MP3 adaptor

marshey
Learner Driver

Postby marshey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:38 am

I think its a bit of a lottery when buying a car sometimes you get good ones sometimes you get bad ones. For example my megane ive owned for a year now and the only problem i had was a door handle sensor go and was only a 10min fix. Everyone says stay away from french because of all the problems and go for german reliability but i owned german before megane i had vw lupo and everyother week i was fixing it.

almcgrail
Pass Plus
Currently Drives:: Megane II tourer 130

Postby almcgrail » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Ive always stuck to french cars cos they're a good second hand buy, you get a lot for your money. My dci's close to 118,000 miles and still going strong, only really had a couple of electrical problems but nothing major, touch wood.
Best car ive had was a 406 hdi 90, 145,000 miles before i had any major problems.
Worst car was my wifes mk 4 golf 1.6 se, gearbox and clutch were close to a grand when they went and its a common problem, and it had so many more problems aside from that.
There are good and bad examples of every car brand.

Return to “Problems / Questions”